...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1857 - 1928 (70 years)
||Jane James Johns BARNES  |
||25 Dec 1857
||Penzance UK 
||25 Dec 1857
||Paul Penzance UK 
- Jane James Johns BARNES was christened on 25 Dec 1857 in Penzance, Paul, Cornwall,
Father: Benjiman Barnes
LDS details Batch: C023411 - Source call: 0226179 - Printout call: 6904608
||Three weeks after their marriage, Charles and his wife immigrated on the 'Oaklands'. The vessel sailed from Plymouth on 9th June 1877 and arrived at Port Adelaide, the South Australian colony, on 9 September. |
Annie Jane was born at sea on 30th August. 
||22 Nov 1928
||Loxton SA 
- Loxton District Hospital
- Death Notice. Chronical 24th November 1928.
Thompson. On the 21st November at Loxton, Jane Thompson, dearly loved wife of the late Charles Thompson and dearly loved mother of Laura, Addie, Hilda, Mabel, Charlie, Viv, Reg, Hubt and Doug. Aged 73 years.
||Christina and Donald McLean
||25 Jun 2021 |
||Charles (snr) THOMPSON, b. 15 Mar 1859, Isles of Scilly (IOS) Cornwall England UK , d. 15 Mar 1925, Adelaide SA (Age 66 years) |
||13 May 1877
||Penzance UK 
|Children of marriage
||There were small gaps between some pregancies:-|
* Between the Annie and first Charles- 12 months
* Between the two named Charles - 11 months
* Between the second Charles and Millie - 12 months
* Between William and Laura - 13 months
||* 13 May 1877 - marriage solemnised at the Register Office in the District of Penzance in the County of Cornwall|
* Groom: Charles THOMPSON, 18 yrs, bachelor, butcher (father William Thomson, pilot)
* Bride: Jane James Johns BARNES, 19 yrs, spinster (father Benjamin Barnes (deceased), market gardener
* English Marriage Certificate # 147 (Warren McLean has a copy on file)
| ||1. Annie Jane THOMPSON, b. 30 Aug 1877, Born at sea |
| ||2. Charles (jnr) THOMPSON, b. 30 Aug 1878, Mt Barker SA |
| ||3. Charles Rosevear THOMPSON, b. 27 Jul 1879, Mt Barker SA |
| ||4. Mildred Jane Barnes (Millie) THOMPSON, b. 24 Jul 1880, Mt Barker SA |
| ||5. William Archibald THOMPSON, b. 27 May 1882, Mt Barker SA |
| ||6. Laura Lillia THOMPSON, b. 28 Jun 1883, Mt Barker SA |
| ||7. Anon Vivian (Viv) THOMPSON, b. 31 Dec 1885, Mt Barker SA |
|+||8. Adelaide Annie Barker THOMPSON, b. 7 Jan 1888, Mt Barker SA , d. 23 Aug 1929, St Peters SA (Age 41 years) |
| ||9. Hilda Victoria THOMPSON, b. 15 Jan 1890, Ki Ki SA |
| ||10. Reginald Bruce (Reg) THOMPSON, b. 10 Aug 1891, Bordertown SA |
| ||11. Hubert Ruthven THOMPSON, b. 8 Apr 1894, Bordertown SA |
| ||12. Estella Mabel THOMPSON, b. 13 Jan 1896, Bordertown SA |
| ||13. William Douglas THOMPSON, b. 21 Jul 1897, Bordertown SA |
||4 Jun 2021 20:19:39 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||OAKLANDS - The voyage from Plymouth to Port Adelaide in 1877|
* Passenger Thompson, C [Charles] - 18 yrs - agricultural labourer - and wife [Jane Barnes].
* 'Oaklands' sailed from Plymouth on 3rd June 1877 and arrived at Port Adelaide on 9th September.
* 346 passengers
* 11 babies were born on the voyage [including Annie].
- [S-250] Warren McLean - ID 1506 - 'Narratives - Douglas Hamilton McLean' in the Library directory on Don Gordon's computer, Page 9.
- [S-250] Warren McLean - ID 1506 - 'Narratives - Douglas Hamilton McLean' in the Library directory on Don Gordon's computer, Page 8.