...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1765 - 1850 (85 years)
||James RANKINE |
- The gravestone which is attached to this profile has it that James was 85 years old when he died in 1850 - ie born about 1865.
||21 Mar 1765
||Old Cumnock Ayr Scotland 
- The OPR has the father in Millnoch. The birth was registered in the Parish of Old Cumnock but we have not identified the locality of Millnoch. There is a mountain called Mill Knock in Dumphries - that is no help.
||North Balloch Ayr UK 
||Dalblair & Welltrees 
|James Rankine of the 18th century and early 19th, (and father of the brothers of Strathalbyn) farmed at Dalblair, Ayrshire, when his first five children were born and by 1820 farmed at Welltrees in the same area. |
||Dalblair Barr Ayr UK 
|Dalblair Barr Ayr UK |
||Dalblair, Ayr, Scotland 
|Dalblair is by Glenuir Water [also spelt Glenmore], a wild moorish vale on the eastern border of the Parish of Auchinlech, Ayrshire. The head waters of Glenmuir are near the meeting point of Lanark and Dumfriesshire, immediately south of Cairntable. The Rankines' steading has not been positively identified, though Mr J Hector Knight, a Paterson descendant, made a search of the area in 1978 and found a number of derelict farms, any one of which could have housed the Rankines early last century. |
||15 Jun 1850
||Barr Village Ayr Scotland 
||Christina and Donald McLean
||27 Jun 2021 |
||Jane GEMMELL, b. 1770, d. 6 Apr 1854, Barr Village Ayr Scotland (Age 84 years) |
|Children of marriage
||They had 8 children. Three of them migrated on the Fairfield in 1839 - Dr John, Matthew, & James Gemmell.  |
||A Wikipedia entry for their son (Dr John Rankine) has the father as James Rankine - that is correct. But the entry has the mother as Jane Paterson - which is wrong because there is an OPR confirming that John's brother, William, married Jane Paterson in 1826 in Barr, Scotland.|
(This note by Don Gordon on 26th June 2021)
| ||1. Elizabeth RANKINE, b. 1795, Dalblair Ayr Scotland |
| ||2. Sarah RANKINE, b. 1797, Dalblair Ayr Scotland |
|+||3. William (snr) RANKINE, b. 19 Jan 1799, Dalblair Barr Ayr UK , d. 2 Nov 1882, Belalie Hindmarsh Island SA (Age 83 years) |
| ||4. Dr John RANKINE, b. 19 Oct 1801, Kirkintillock Ayreshire Scotland , d. 15 Mar 1864, Helensburgh Scotland UK (Age 62 years) |
| ||5. Jean RANKINE, b. 1804 |
| ||6. Margaret RANKINE, b. 1806 |
| ||7. Hugh RANKINE, b. 1808, d. 15 May 1853 (Age 45 years) |
| ||8. Susan RANKINE, b. 1810, d. 8 Feb 1834, Ayr Scotland (Age 24 years) |
| ||9. James Gemmell RANKINE, b. 1810, d. 10 Aug 1873 (Age 63 years) |
||27 Jun 2021 08:22:53 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||James Rankine's household in North Balloch - 1841 census|
* James Rankine, 75 yrs [c1766], farmer
* James Rankine, 25 yrs [c1816]
* Jane Rankine, 30 yrs [c1811], Ag lab
OTHERS (mainly farm workers):-
* James McGill??, 9 yrs [c1832] * Margaret McGill??, 5 yrs [c1836] * Alexander McKerron??, 30 yrs [c1811], MS * Wm Jameson, 16?? yrs [c1825], MS * Andrew Gray??, 19 yrs, [c1822], MS * Jannet Kirkland??, 20 yrs [c1821], FS * Jeanet Whirter??, 14 yrs [c1827], FS * NK, 60 yrs [c1781] in home?? pauper
* Y = All born in the parish, MS = male servant, FS = female servant, NK = not known.
COMMENTS (by Don Gordon in June 2021):-
* It seems that James was farming at North Balloch in 1839 when three sons and other relatives migrated on the Fairfield, but he later moved 7 kms to Barr where he died in 1850.
* Why isn't his wife, Jane (then 70 years old) included in this household in 1841 because she died in Barr in 1854?
* Who were James Rankine (aged 25 yrs) and Jane Rankine (30 yrs) - probably not his children (but where were their parents if they were his grandchildren?)
||James Rankine - baptized 21st March 1765 in Millnoch in Parish of Old Cumnock|
"James Rankine - James, son Lawfull to James Rankine in Millnoch and Sarah Mitchell his spouse was baptized March 21st 1765"
Registered: Old Cumnock Parish Register, OPR births 610/ 10 page 206 of 346.
Source: Scotland's People from National Records of Scotland.
||Rankine gravestone - Barr cemetery|
Erected in memory
Susan daughter of James Rankine in Northballoch who died the 8th Feb 1834 aged 24 years
Also Mary daughter of William Rankine in Northballoch who died the 10th Jan 1828 aged ??
Also James Rankine late farmer in Northballoch who died at Barr 15th June 1850 aged 85 years
Also Jane Gemmell his spouse also died at Barr 6th April 1854 aged 84 years
- [S-87] BDM Scotlands People requires own login , require own login, 25 Jun 2021 Researcher Lorna McLean.
attached opr of baptism/birth Sarah and James son of James
- [S-11] Birth record attached to this profile.
- [S-262] Gravestone attached to this profile.
- [S-264] 'Rankine Family' - in the Library directory on Don Gordon's computer, Rankine Family 1839-1982 cowritten by Jan Stephenson, Page 3.
- [S-263] Pam Revell - ID 9351, Email on 9th June 2021.
- [S-263] Pam Revell - ID 9351, FaceBook to Lorna McLean in May 2021.