...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1795 - 1872 (77 years)
||Mary MACMILLAN |
||Fort William Scotland [1, 2, 3]
- * 1795: The 1851 census has her born in Argyll, 56 years old - ie born c1795.
* 1794 or 1795: Her death record has her 78 years old when she died in 1872 - ie late 1794 or early 1795.
* 1789: An OPR was found with a birth of a Mary in Kilmallie Parish on 28th June 1789 - parents were Donald McMillan and mother with surname Cameron, but no first name recorded. There is uncertainty about whether this is our Mary because it was 4 or 5 years before the year indicated by both the census and her death record. None-the-less, this OPR has been attached to this profile.
* 1805: Another OPR has a Mary born on 25th Oct 1805 in Calop in the parish of Kilmallie to parents Donald McMillan and Mary Cameron. Calop is probably the Callop River which is 5 kms west of the end of Loch Eil. This is DISCOUNTED - it is not our Mary because that birth is about 10 years after the year indicated by a census in 1851 and her death record. Also her death record has her mother as Jane (not Mary). A copy of this OPR is appendix F in D56 in Small Print.
(This note by Don Gordon in February 2023)
||John Macleod states that "On my grandmother's side there is a tradition of English home education for the greater part of two centuries" NOTES: This implies that she had an English education at home, rather than, perhaps, a Gaelic education at a school.  |
||At the same time that John and Mary were at Corriebeg, Christina McPhee and Donald McLean, were just across the loch at Duisky. It was a six km walk around the eastern end of Loch Eil, or four km in a row-boat. Mary and Christina were first cousins - their mothers were sisters - so there was probably some contact between the families. At the time of Mary's and John's wedding, Christina and Donald had five children (but one had died). |
||Birth & death|
John Macleod stated that * "I was a child of about eight months old when she died. .... She outlived her husband almost thirty six years" that is, "I [John Macleod] was a child of about eight months old when she [Mary MacMillan] died. ... She outlived her husband [John Macmaster] almost thirty six years". NOTE: John Macleod was born in 1872 which indicates that Mary must have died in late 1872, and her husband, John Macmaster, died 36 years before this in 1836. 
||In 1851, she was a widow, living in the household of her daughter, Catherine, in 52 SS Military Road Newtonmoor.  |
||John Macleod states that a leaning stone in the old Kilmallie burial ground has "[Isabella] rests beside her mother Mary daughter of Donald MacMillan, Corriegbeg and wife of John MacMaster SPCK teacher Stornoway".  |
||They were living in Stornoway at the time that John died. |
After his death, Mary went back to Lochaber and had a croft at Banavie near Fort William.
She died three decades after her husband.
||When her husband died in 1837, 15 years after their wedding, she was left with the care of 8 children (2 others had died early).|
"The other eight, all of them still young, were at his death, left in charge of a Christian mother, whose prudence in the management of his affairs during his life, was eclipsed only by her prudence after his death." 
|Cause of death
||Bronchitis  |
||5 Dec 1872
||Fort William Scotland
- John Macleod states a leaning stone in the old Kilmallie burial ground has "[Isabella] rests beside her mother Mary daughter of Donald MacMillan, Corriebeg and wife of John MacMaster SPCK teacher Stornoway".No dates offered.
||Christina and Donald McLean
||2 Feb 2023 |
||John MACMASTER, b. 15 Jun 1782, Corriebeg Loch Eil Scotland , d. 20 Feb 1837, Stornoway Scotland (Age 54 years) |
||22 Jun 1819
||Corriebeg Loch Eil Scotland
- See married record attached to this profile.
|Children of marriage
||"Four of the children pursued their scientific bent and became doctors"  |
|Children of marriage
||His family were ten in number, two of whom died in childhood.  |
|Children of marriage
||John Macleod wrote -"My mother (Isabella) was her (Mary Macmillan's) youngest daughter and the second youngest of her children"  |
||John Macmasters and Mary MacMillan probably met in Corriebeg near Kinlocheil because their parents were living there. |
* Mary's father, Donald MacMillan was probably living there (Memoirs p271).
* John's father might have been living there because John Macleod refers to John's and Mary's daughter (Isabella) as "belonging to the old Lochaber family of the Macmasters, Corriebeg". This is the home to a branch of the MacMasters Clan which was affiliated with Clan Cameron, upon the Estate of Lochiel, circa 1745, with MacMaster tenants (http://www.clan-cameron.org/cam-ref.html).
|+||1. Catherine MACMASTER, b. 1821, Argyll Scotland , d. 1863 (Age 42 years) |
|+||2. Donald MACMASTER, b. 11 Mar 1827, d. 1896 (Age 68 years) |
|+||3. Isabella MACMASTER, b. 26 Jun 1834, Stornoway Scotland , d. 3 Apr 1889, Fort William Scotland (Age 54 years) |
| ||4. Unknown MACMASTER|
| ||5. Ann MACMASTER, b. 1825|
| ||6. John MACMASTER, b. 1821 |
| ||7. Aeneas MACMASTER, b. 1830, d. 1888 (Age 58 years)|
| ||8. Ewen MACMASTER, b. 1832|
||1 Feb 2023 22:46:07 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||ww - John Macmaster & Mary MacMillan - married 22nd June 1819 in Corriebeg|
“1819 – June 22 – John MacMaster schoolmaster Corriebeg and Mary MacMillan there”
Corriebeg, Corrybe or Corrie Beag is near Kinlochiel on Loch Eil.
||ww - Mary Macmaster, nee MacMillan, died 5th Dec 1872 in Fort William|
Deaths in the Parish of Kilmallie in the County of Argyll
Mary McMaster, widow of John McMaster, schoolmaster
1872, December fifth, 2?? pm in Fort William
Female, 78 years old
Daughter of Donald McMillan, Excise officer, deceased and Jane McMillan MS Cameron, deceased
Cause of death Bronchitis as certified by Duncan MacIntyre, MD
Informant Alex McLeod, son-in-law, present
Registered on 12th December at Fort William, signed by Ian?? McMillan
||ww - 1851 census - household of Donald Cattanach in Newtonmore|
1851 census - household in 52 SS Military Road Newtonmoor
* Donald Cattanach, head, married, 38 yrs (born c1813), slater, born Inverness Shire Kingussie
* Catherine Cattanach [nee Macmaster), wife, 30 yrs (c1821), born Argyll Shire Kilmallie
* Isabella Cattanach, daughter, unmarried, scholar, 8 yrs (c1843), born Inverness Kingussie
* Mary Cattanach, daughter, scholar, 6 yrs (c1845), born Inverness Kingussie
* Anne Cattanach, daughter, at home, 3 yrs (c1848), born Inverness Kingussie
* Catherine Cattanach, daughter, 1 yr (c1850), born Inverness Kingussie
* John Cattanach, father, widower, farmer ten acres, 82 yrs (c1769), born Inverness Kingussie
* Mary MacMaster (nee MacMillan), mother-in-law, widow, 56 yrs (c1795), born Argyll Kilmallie
||Issabella (Isabella) MacMaster - born 26th July 1838 in Stornaway|
BAPTISM 27 JULY 1834 To John Mac Master Teacher of a school and the establishment of the society of propagating Christian knowledge and Mary Mac Millan his wife a child born 26th June
||Mary McMillan - born 28th June 1789 in Kilmallie|
1789 - McMillan, Mary dau to Don'd McMillan & ........ Cameron - 28th June.
Note: It has not confirmed that this is the correct OPR (this note by Don Gordon in Feb 2023)
- [S-228] CENSUS Scotland 1851 Christina and Donald McLean , Attached to this profile.
- [S-226] Marriage certificate attached to this profile .
- [S-76] MyHeritage 92connections, my heritage (with a log in), 30 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Mary MacMaster (born MacMillan) Birth June 28 1789 Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland Marriage to: John MacMaster July 22 1819 Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland Death Dec 5 1872 Fort William, Kilmallie, Argyll, Scotland
- [S-223] John Macleod's Memoirs re TGSI - see D56 homepage menu "Small Print", p236.
- [S-223] John Macleod's Memoirs re TGSI - see D56 homepage menu "Small Print", p269.
- [S-228] CENSUS Scotland 1851 Christina and Donald McLean .
- [S-223] John Macleod's Memoirs re TGSI - see D56 homepage menu "Small Print", p272.
- [S-235] Leslie McKinnon, 'The Family of Allan MacMaster' - Gosford Library, NSW, Page 93.
- [S-231] FM Alan Macleod re content of TGSI VOL57 - ID 9251- emails held by Don Gordon who can be contacted by 'Contact us' on the homepage, Email on 21st Sept 2020.
- [S-223] John Macleod's Memoirs re TGSI - see D56 homepage menu "Small Print", p224 & 271.