...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
||Elizabeth Ann VINECOMBE  |
||UK [1, 2]
||Sailed from South Hampton on 'Calabar' - arrived on 1st August 1853 at Adelaide.  |
||Y  |
||Christina and Donald McLean
||20 Jan 2021 |
||John MATTHEWS, b. 12 Jul 1832, Sussex UK , d. 18 Jan 1880, Horsham Vic (Age 47 years) |
||29 May 1854
||Willunga SA [5, 6]
- St Steven's Church of England 
||We think, but not have confirmed, that two brothers married two sisters. |
* The first marriage was in Willunga in 1854 when John Matthews snr was 22 years old and Elizabeth Vinecombe was 33 years. This is a surprising 11 years difference.
* The other marriage, three and a half years later, was in Noarlunga in 1857 when George Matthews was 19 years old and Caroline Vinecombe was 17 yrs.
* Willunga and Noarlunga are 35 kms apart.
* The brothers were born 6 years apart - John Mathews was born in c1832 and George Matthews in c1838. However there is a big gap of 19 years with 'sisters' - Elizabeth Vinecombe was born c1821 and Caroline was c1840. Not impossible, but they might be cousins rather than sisters. This needs to be checked.
* (Note by Don Gordon on 30th May 2019)
| ||1. John MATTHEWS, b. 9 Mar 1855, Adelaide SA , d. 13 Jun 1931, Hawthorn Vic (Age 76 years) |
| ||2. Emma (Vinegam) MATTHEWS, b. 16 Jul 1862, Modbury SA |
|+||3. George James (Jo&Eliz) MATTHEWS, b. 3 Oct 1859, Goolwa SA , d. 29 Feb 1924, Mile End SA (Age 64 years) |
||14 Feb 2021 11:23:21 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-155] FS Reuben Matthews -evidence pending , Reuben's notes are attached to this website.
- [S-76] MyHeritage 92connections, https://www.genealogysa.org.au requires log in , 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
TBC since REUBEN MATTHEWS indicates this lady as born 1821....with no evidence...Yet as records on my heritage reads (but may still be incorrect PERSON---Elizabeth Ann Vinecombe Birth Apr 2 1831 Christening Apr 27 1831 Wesleyan, Tavistock, Devon, England Father Samuel Vinecombe Mother Elizabeth Indexing Project (Batch) Number C06399-1 System Origin England-ODM GS Film number 590696
- [S-76] MyHeritage 92connections, my heritage (with a log in), 8 Feb Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Elizabeth Ann Matthews (born Vinecombe Aka Vinicombe) Birth Dec 23 1829 Saint Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands Christening Apr 27 1831 Marriage to: John MATTHEWS May 29 1854 St Stephens Church Willunga South Australia Death
Elizabeth Mary Vinecombe Birth Year: abt 1829 Age: 18 Years 6 Months Death Date: 04 Jul 1848 Residence Place: Coromandel Valley Father's Name: William Vinecombe Registration Place: Adelaide, South Australia Page Number: 127 Volume Number: 1 July 4 1848 Coromondel Valley, South Australia, Australia Burial Apsley Cemetery, Apsley, Victoria, Australia
- [S-75] BDM SA, https://www.genealogysa.org.au requires log in , Don Gordon- citation date not provided.
- [S-155] FS Reuben Matthews -evidence pending , Reuben's notes are attached to this website., Don Gordon citation date not provided.
- [S-75] BDM SA, https://www.genealogysa.org.au requires log in , 9 May 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
MATTHEWS John married VINECOMBE Elizabeth Ann on 29-May-1854 Marriage Place:St Stephen Church Willunga SA Groom Age:22 Groom Marital Status:S Groom Father: Bride Age:33 Bride Marital Status: S Book/Page:20/89