...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1831 - 1898 (~ 67 years)
||Catherine BLACK  |
||20 Feb 1831
||Ulva Scotland 
||It appears that the family migrated to USA. Perhaps this was after 1874 (when their 13th child was born in Lanarkshire) or after 1879 (when their 14th child was born in a place unknown). The indicators of migration are that Catherine died in 1898 in Wyoming. Also, two of her offspring died as old people in Utah. We do not have details of when and where the others died. |
||* In 1841, Catherine (10 yrs) was living in Kentra with elderly Flory MacLucas.|
* No one else was living there - just a little girl and an old woman. So who was looking after whom?
* The census details are from Catherine's profile in the Mull Families website as follows:-
- Census, 1841.
- Iona - Argyllshire
- Address: Kentra
- MACLUCAS Flory F 70 Cotter Argyllshire
- BLACK Catherine F 10 Argyllshire
* Flory was 70 yrs and was listed as a cotter which is a peasant farmer.
* Tim Parry concluded that Flory was probably Catherine's grand-aunt - the sister of Catherine's grandfather Lachlan. However, Flora's birth year does not quite match up with 1771 Vs 1768.
* We need to check whether they were in Kentra (which is on the Ardnamurchan peninsular) or Kindra (which is near Iona).
||* In 1850 Catherine married in George Young in Midlothian near Edinburgh and they had 14 children. |
* The first 12 children were born in several locations within Midlothian ? between 1851 and 1872. The 13th was born in Lanarkshire in 1874. The 14th was born in 1879 ? but we do not know where.
||For more details, click on the biography with STORIES near the bottom of Catherine's parents. |
||9 Sep 1898
||Rock Springs Wyoming USA 
||Christina and Donald McLean
||23 Jan 2018 |
||Lachlan BLACK, c. 21 May 1797, Lagganulva Scotland |
||Isabella MCLUCAIS (MCDOUGALL), b. 1800, Argyll Scotland |
||19 Jan 1826
||Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Scotland 
|Children of marriage
||* Lachlan and Isabella had 6 children. |
* The first two, John born in 1827 and Isabella jnr 1829, were born in Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon. The third, Christina was born 1830 in Iona. The fourth, Catherine was born 1831 in Blarnacor. The last two, Lachlan jnr 1833 and Margaret 1836, were both born in Iona.
* This indicates that the family moved around several locations within the western parts of Mull.
* A major difficulty for the family arose between 1836 and 1841. Karen Kennett stated that the children "were divided up amongst relatives". This was evident in the 1841 census as following:-
* Isabella has not been found in the census. Perhaps she had died - we do not know, but if so, this could have precipitated the dispersal of the children.
* The two youngest children, Lachlan jnr 7 yrs and Margaret 5 yrs were living in Innair with their father, Lachlan.
* John 14 yrs was in Ardtun with his mother's parents, Lachlan and Susan.
* Catherine 10 yrs was living in Kentra with her grand-aunt Flora McLucais who was the sister of Catherine's grandfather, Lachlan.
* Christina 11 yrs was living in Kentra in the household of her uncle Archibald who was her mother's brother.
* Isabella jnr 12 yrs has not been found on the census. Maybe she had died.
||At the time of their marriage, Isabella was 26 years old and Lachlan was about 28 years and he had left the 79th Foot Regiment six months previously. |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||George YOUNG, b. 5 Feb 1826, Gorebridge Midlothian UK , d. 4 Sep 1899, Rock Springs Wyoming USA (Age 73 years) |
||4 Oct 1850
||Gorebridge Midlothian UK 
| ||1. Isabella YOUNG, b. 1851, Cockpen UK |
| ||2. William YOUNG, b. 1853, Cockpen UK |
| ||3. Janet YOUNG, b. 12 Dec 1855, Cockpen UK |
| ||4. Mary YOUNG, b. 16 Oct 1857, Gorebridge Midlothian UK |
| ||5. Adam YOUNG, b. 21 Sep 1859, Gorebridge Midlothian UK |
| ||6. George YOUNG, b. 21 Feb 1861, Gorebridge Midlothian UK |
| ||7. Catherine YOUNG, b. 21 Jan 1863, Gorebridge Midlothian UK |
| ||8. Ann YOUNG, b. 18 Mar 1865, Gorebridge Midlothian UK |
| ||9. John Black YOUNG, b. 14 Dec 1866, Gorebridge Scotland , d. 11 Jul 1946, Salt Lake County USA (Age 79 years) |
| ||10. Margaret YOUNG, b. 1 Sep 1868, Gorebridge Midlothian UK |
| ||11. Christina YOUNG, b. 10 Apr 1870, Gorebridge Scotland |
| ||12. Jean (Jeanie,Jennie or Grammie) YOUNG, b. 6 Jan 1872, Gorebridge Midlothian UK , d. 26 Jan 1959, Provo Utah USA (Age 87 years) |
| ||13. Lachlan YOUNG, b. 28 Sep 1874, Carnwath UK |
| ||14. Elizabeth YOUNG, b. 1879 |
||22 Feb 2018 12:14:17 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-32] will require your own log on.
- [S-32] will require your own log on, https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Ulvaemail@example.com,-6.2404477,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x488b948a1ff3d0fb:0x7fb38b521aae1dd5!8m2!3d56.4797423!4d-6.2049471, 24 Jan 2018 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Blarnacor Ulva Kilninian and Kilmore Scotland. NB Blarnacor is not on todays maps.