...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
||John BLACK  |
||25 Feb 1827
||Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Scotland 
||* In the 1841 census, John, at 14 yrs, was living with his maternal grandparents in Ardtun.|
* John was listed as a servant and all the adult males were agricultural labourers.
* It was a large household of 13 adults and 8 teenagers (but no young children).
* Within this household, 5 people had the surname of McDougall which is interchangeable with McLucais ? Lachlan 75 yrs, Susan 55 yrs, Mary 20 yrs, Angus 50 yrs & Flora 14 yrs. This indicates that John was living with his grandparents, Lachlan and Susan, however the ages do not match completely (Lachlan 1766 Vs 1763, Susan 1786 Vs 1781 and their children Angus 1791 Vs 1790, Mary 1821 Vs 1817 & Flora 1827 Vs 1822).
* These census details are from John Brown?s profile on the Mull Families website:-
- Census, 1841.
- Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon - Argyllshire
- Address: Ardtun 1st Division
- MCDOUGALL Lachlan M 75 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCDOUGALL Susan F 55 Argyllshire
- MCDOUGALL Mary F 20 Argyllshire
- BLACK John M 14 Male Servant Argyllshire
- MCDOUGAL Angus M 50 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCDOUGAL Flora F 14 Female Servant Argyllshire
- MCFADEN Donald M 65 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCFADEN Lachlin M 15 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCFADEN Donald M 13 Argyllshire
- MCFADEN Cate F 15 Female Servant Argyllshire
- LAMONT Donald M 50 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCKINNON John M 40 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCKINNON Marrion F 15 Female Servant Argyllshire
- MCINTYRE Nicol M 50 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCINTYRE Charles M 15 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCLEAN Hugh M 25 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCLEAN Marrion F 25 Argyllshire
- MCDONALD Allan M 30 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
-MACDONALD John M 35 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
- MCLEAN Cate F 14 Female Servant Argyllshire
- MCLEAN Duncan M 35 Agricultural Labourer Argyllshire
||For more details, click on the biography with STORIES near the bottom of John's parents. |
||We do not have any details about John's life after 1841. |
||Christina and Donald McLean
||25 Mar 2018 |
||Lachlan BLACK, c. 21 May 1797, Lagganulva Scotland |
||Isabella MCLUCAIS (MCDOUGALL), b. 1800, Argyll Scotland |
||19 Jan 1826
||Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Scotland 
|Children of marriage
||* Lachlan and Isabella had 6 children. |
* The first two, John born in 1827 and Isabella jnr 1829, were born in Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon. The third, Christina was born 1830 in Iona. The fourth, Catherine was born 1831 in Blarnacor. The last two, Lachlan jnr 1833 and Margaret 1836, were both born in Iona.
* This indicates that the family moved around several locations within the western parts of Mull.
* A major difficulty for the family arose between 1836 and 1841. Karen Kennett stated that the children "were divided up amongst relatives". This was evident in the 1841 census as following:-
* Isabella has not been found in the census. Perhaps she had died - we do not know, but if so, this could have precipitated the dispersal of the children.
* The two youngest children, Lachlan jnr 7 yrs and Margaret 5 yrs were living in Innair with their father, Lachlan.
* John 14 yrs was in Ardtun with his mother's parents, Lachlan and Susan.
* Catherine 10 yrs was living in Kentra with her grand-aunt Flora McLucais who was the sister of Catherine's grandfather, Lachlan.
* Christina 11 yrs was living in Kentra in the household of her uncle Archibald who was her mother's brother.
* Isabella jnr 12 yrs has not been found on the census. Maybe she had died.
||At the time of their marriage, Isabella was 26 years old and Lachlan was about 28 years and he had left the 79th Foot Regiment six months previously. |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-32] https://www.mullfamilies.co.uk requires own log on.