...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1760 - 1827 (67 years)
||Jean CAMERON  |
||She learnt English and handicrafts from her mother.|
John Macleod stated "She [Jane Robertson] saw to it that her children got from herself a course of English and practical education . Likely she had a course in Aberdeen of what used to be called 'The White Seam'. She taught my great grandmother to spin and weave linen and my sister still has a tablecloth which this daughter made. She grew the flax, scutched it, spun it, and then wove it. Home industries counted for something in those days. It was something more than fancy work. People depended on their own initiative and enterprise. In those days this was an uncommon thing that a whole family boys and girls should get an English education in the fastness of wild Lochaber". 
||* On page 236 of his memoirs, John Macleod mentions 'my great grandmother' without naming her but he refers to her as 'this daughter' when he is describing his great grandmother's time with Jane Robertson - ie, she was the daughter of Jane Robertson and Donald Cameron. |
* She must be a sister of our Christ'n, because they have the same mother and father.
* The death record of her daughter (Mary MacMillan) shows that her name was Jane.
* Unfortunately, apart from her mention in the death record of her mother, we have not found any OPRs for birth, marriage, children or her own death.
||Homepage menu-SMALL PRINT
|Extensive,evidence,persuasive narrative in SMALL PRINT MENU on HOME PAGE MENU|
||Christina and Donald McLean
||9 Nov 2020 |
||Donald CAMERON |
||Jane ROBERTSON |
|Children of marriage
||Comments by Don Gordon in November 2020:|
Donald Cameron and Jane Robertson had at least two daughters - Christ'n and Jane. For Christ'n, this was sourced by John's memoirs. For Jane, it was sourced by the combination of the memoirs and her daughter's death record. We have not found the sisters' OPRs because all OPRs in the parish of Kilmallie prior to 1773 are missing. So we do not have their birthdates and birthplaces (but we assume Achnacarry).
Although there are no OPRs for these two sisters, there are nine OPR unlikely contenders for their siblings. All have their father as Donald Cameron. Three have the mother Janet Robertson - born in 1762, 1765 & 1768 - all in Blair Athol. Six have the mother Janet (no surname) - in 1763, 1783, 1785, 1790, 1793 & 1796 - all born in Fortingall. Blair Athol is location 155 kms west of Aberdeen and 106 kms east of Achncarry. Fortingall is located 42 kms south of Blair Athol, 175 kms southwest of Aberdeen, and 122 southeast of Achnacarry. Blair Athol and Fortingall are too far from Aberdeen and Achnacarry to be compatible with where Donald and Jane met (Aberdeen) or where they lived in their married life (Achnacarry). We believe that Christ'n was born in 1771, so the births in the late 1760s are compatible with being her siblings, but the births in 1790s are improbable. Unless other corroborative details can be found, none of the nine appear to be part of this family. = DISCOUNTED.
* Alexander Cameron, son of Donald Cameron & Janet Robertson - 24th Feb 1762 in Blair Athol
* Margaret Cameron, daughter of Donald Cameron & Janet - 17th July 1763 in Fortingall
* Marjory Cameron, daughter Donald & Janet Robertson - 29th April 1765 in Blair Athol
* Grissel Cameron, daughter of Donald & Janet Robertson - 1st July 1768 in Blair Athol
* Catharine Cameron, daugther of Donald Cameron & Janet - 8th June 1783 in Fortingall
* Angus Cameron, son of Donald Cameron & Janet - 20th Nov 1785 in Fortingall
* John Cameron, son of Donald Cameronf & Janet - 5th Dec 1790 in Fortingall
* Ewen Cameron, son of Donald Cameron & Janet - 7th April 1793 in Fortingall
* Margaret Cameron, daughter of Donald Cameron & Janet - 15th July 1796 in Fortingall
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||L007 - Cameron chiefs - by Celtic Radio|
Background about the Cameron clan: Relevant to the biographies of Donald Cameron (saw miller of Achnacarry) and his wife Jane Robertson, and their daughters Christ'n Cameron & Jean Cameron.
- [S-237] JFM 'Jeff' Macleod - ID 3072 - letters held by Don Gordon who can be contacted via 'Contact Us' on the homepage, Letter on 21st Sept 2020.
- [S-223] John Macleod's Memoirs - see D56 in Small Print, p236.
- [S-231] FM Alan Macleod - ID 9251- emails held by Don Gordon who can be contacted by 'Contact us' on the homepage, Email on 21st Sept 2020.