...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
||Isabella BLACK  |
||18 Jan 1829
||Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Scotland 
||For more details, click on the biography with STORIES near the bottom of Isabella's parents. |
||Isabella has not been found in the 1841 census and we have no details after her birth in 1829. She would have been 12 years old at the time of the census but we do not know who she was living with, or indeed, whether maybe she had died as a young child. |
||Christina and Donald McLean
||29 Nov 2017 |
||Lachlan BLACK, Pte, c. 21 May 1797, Lagganulva Scotland , d. 1848, Mull Scotland (Age ~ 50 years) |
||Isabella MCLUCAIS (MCDOUGALL), b. 1800, Argyll Scotland , d. 1841, Iona Scotland (Age 41 years) |
||19 Jan 1826
||Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon Scotland [1, 2]
|Children of marriage
||* Lachlan and Isabella had 6 children. |
* The first two, John born in 1827 and Isabella jnr 1829, were born in Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon. The third, Christina was born 1830 in Iona. The fourth, Catherine was born 1831 in Blarnacor. The last two, Lachlan jnr 1833 and Margaret 1836, were both born in Iona.
* This indicates that the family moved around several locations within the western parts of Mull.
* A major difficulty for the family arose between 1836 and 1841. Karen Kennett stated that the children "were divided up amongst relatives". This was evident in the 1841 census as following:-
* Isabella has not been found in the census. Perhaps she had died - we do not know, but if so, this could have precipitated the dispersal of the children.
* The two youngest children, Lachlan jnr 7 yrs and Margaret 5 yrs were living in Innair with their father, Lachlan.
* John 14 yrs was in Ardtun with his mother's parents, Lachlan and Susan.
* Catherine 10 yrs was living in Kentra with her grand-aunt Flora McLucais who was the sister of Catherine's grandfather, Lachlan.
* Christina 11 yrs was living in Kentra in the household of her uncle Archibald who was her mother's brother.
* Isabella jnr 12 yrs has not been found on the census. Maybe she had died.
||At the time of their marriage, Isabella was 26 years old and Lachlan was about 28 years and he had left the 79th Foot Regiment six months previously. |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-32] https://www.mullfamilies.co.uk requires own log on.
- [S-76] MyHeritage 92connections, my heritage (with a log in), 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Lachlan Black Birth information on Lachlan Black comes from http://mullfamilies.co.uk/getperson.php?personID=I16486&tree=MF
Birthplace:Lagganulva, Kilninian and Kilmore, Argyll, Scotland
The OPR is only a Baptism-apparently a comment on the baptism record is that he is a 'natural son', that is the parents were not married. Bapt: May 21 1797 location Lagganulva, Kilninian and Kilmore, Argyll, Scotland
Military Service Sep 23 1817 Edinburgh, Midlothian
Marriage to: Isabella McDougall (McLucais) Jan 19 1826
Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon, Argyll, Scotland
Census Lachlan's wife Isabella had apparently died some years earlier. He still had the two youngest children, the older ones had been farmed out to his wife's relatives.
1841 Iona, Argyll, Scotland Residence Iona, Argyll, Scotland
1841 Death Circa 1848 Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland
Lauchland and Isabellas Family members:- Parents Lachlan Black
1767 - ? Christina Black (born Mcquarrie) Wife Isabella Black (born Mcdougall (Mclucais)) 1800 - 1840
CHIDLREN"--John Black 1827 - ? Christina Mclean (born Black)
1830 - 1907 Lauchlin (Lachlan) Black 1833 - 1916 Isabella Black 1829 - ? Catherine Young (born Black) 1832 - 1898
Margaret Maclean (born Black) 1836 - 1898