...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1856 - 1937 (81 years)
||Christiane Lydia MINGE  |
||7 May 1856
||Schoenborn SA 
- Johann Georg Heinrich Hoklas MARRIED Christiane Lydia Christine MINGE having 9 children.
MyHeritage Family Trees
Bailey (our family3 in Bailey Web Site, managed by Geoff Bailey
Birth: Aug 31 1853 - Adelaide, South Australia.
Death: Aug 31 1911 - New Mecklenburg, South Australia.
Parents: Joachim Heinrich Hoklas, Anna Magdalene Elisabeth Hoklas (born Schmaal)
Wife: Christiane Lydia Christine Hoklas (born Minge)
Children: Johann Heinrich Hoklas, Maria Louise Hoklas, Bertha Ida Hoklas, August Heinrich Hoklas, Gustav Carl Hoklas, Martha Lydia Hoklas, Anna Elisabeth Elizabeth Hoklas, Alma Selma Hoklas, Ottilie Olga Hoklas
||xx May 1937
||Willaston SA 
||23 May 1937 
||Christina and Donald McLean
||20 Sep 2018 |
||Johann Georg Heinrich HOKLAS, b. 31 Aug 1852, Blumburg SA , d. 31 Aug 1911, Tanunda SA (Age 59 years) |
||24 Oct 1878
||Shoenborn SA 
|Willochra, sheoak Log, new mechlenburg. |
- Email dated 27 August 2018 from Marilyn Whittenbury. States: JOACHIM HEINRICH HOKLAS b14.12.1817 Leuttenmark, Near Boitzenburg/Mecklenburg Scherwin/Prussia?Germany: died 3.8.1888 at New Macklenburg, SA aged 70 Years and buried at the Schoenborn Cemetery at Gomersal SA. At his death he had married and widowed THREE times with six of his nine children surving to adulthood.
Single, JOACHIM HEINRICH HOKLAS aged 31yoa arrived in SA on the ship Australia on 10/9/1849 (about 12 the new colony). Settling in at Klemzig, SA and in 15/4/1853 he made an "OATH OF ALLEGIANCE" to the colony of SA. Occupation: Landsman.
4 years after his first marriage; he relocated to the New Mecklenburg, Barrossa Valley purchased land as a pioneer famer, in 1860 construcing a sotne building-barn, cellar with 2 foot thick walls and thatched roof upon a side of a hill that gave access to the top slate floor property. The bottom floor of the building was used as a hanging room and storeroom; including a cellar.
This estate continues in the family, a 5th generation of the HOKLAS family began grapevines in 2004 (100years since vines were last harvest). In 2018 producing premium full bodied/?blooded Barossa Style red wine.
- continued: Father of Joachim Heinrich Hoklas was direct line: Johann Herrmann Hoklas of Leuttenmark, Mecklenburg.Prussia.
- Joachim Heinrich Hoklas FIRST MARRIAGE at 33yoa married ANNA (HELEN) MAGDALENE ELISABETH SCHMAAL aged 25yoa on 24.12.1850 at Klemzig, SA with 6 known children. Born between 31/8/1851 - 21/5/1862 at Adelaide, Nuriootpa and New Mecklenburg SA, Anna Magdalene Elizabeth Schmaalb. 16/2/18525 Wiebendorf, Mecklenburg. Germany d.1/8/1864 aged 39 yoa at New Mecklenburg SA and buried at Schoenborn SA
- Government altered the name Shoenborn to Gomersal during the first world war.
- Schoenborn Cemetery State Heritage listed burials from 1858 to present day.
- Original settlements; Schoenborn and New Macklenburg from 1852 - 1855, mostly German families. These areas original inhabitants were Ngadjuri Aboriginals. Explored by Colonel William Light in 1837.
|Farmer and Labourer according to Marilyn Whittenbury. |
||20 Sep 2018 23:03:48 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-128] FS Marilyn Whittenbury - ID 8561 - emailed mclean1838-28.9.2017, Lorna McLean , Hotmail dated 29 Sep 17-Marilyn Whittenbury, 4 Sep 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Marilyn Whittenbury;BDM records of FS=family stories and family publications:"Meet the Minge's" and "Heritage of Faith-Meigel families in Australia" Authors: Meigel Reunion Committee;Tanunda SA,1981,408pp ISBN0959394702
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au requires login, 18.08.2018 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Groom Given Name(s): Heinrich Johann Georg
Groom Last Name: HOKLAS
Bride Given Name(s): Christine Lydia
Bride Last Name: MINGE
Marriage Date: 1878, October 25
Marriage Place: Ev Luth Church Schoenborn
Groom Age: 25
Groom Approx. Birth Year: 1853
Groom Marital Status: S
Groom Father: Joachim Heinrich HOKLAS
Bride Age: 22
Bride Approx. Birth Year: 1856
Bride Marital Status: S
Bride Father Name: Johann Auguste MINGE
Marilyn Whittenbury provided some pieces of information. This information is based on the SA BDM Registrary Office.