...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1841 - 1928 (87 years)
||Mary Ann WATT [1, 2] |
- * She is sometimes referred to as Mary Ann or Maryann. And WATT, WATTS or WHITFIELD
* Susan Nicholls noted that Maryann's marriage certificate has her father as James WATT and on her children's birth certificates her father is given as William WHITFIELD. Susan concluded that her biological father was James Watt and her stepfather was William Whitfield.
||Mary Ann |
||18 Apr 1841
||Adelaide SA 
||Maryann SOMMER née WATT or WHITFIELD|
Maryann was born 18 April 1841 in Currie Street, Adelaide. She was baptised on 9 Sept. 1841, recorded on the Holy Trinity baptismal register. This was before births were officially registered in the colony.
It means all William WHITFIELD?s children, as they were born to Barbara, are Maryann SOMMER?s half-brothers and sisters not step brothers and sisters. This means Maryann?s siblings were full two sisters (parents Barbara and James) and one half-sister and five half-brothers, the last dying in infancy (parents Barbara and William). I wanted to pursue these siblings to see their impact on aspects of Frederick and Maryann SOMMER and their children?s lives. For instance, an obvious one was Fred and Maryann?s original meeting was probably because of her elder sister?s marriage and life in Callington.
Maryann married Frederick SOMMER, son of Christian and Henrietta SOMMER of Callington.
Her mother The mother of our Mary Ann SOMMER, Barbara Whitfield née Wilkie formally WATT died at Mannum 20 May 1888. At this time I believe Maryann and husband Fred were living at Yatina.
||23 Jul 1928
||Prospect SA [1, 5]
||Christina and Donald McLean
||23 Jan 2018 |
||Frederick August Louis SOMMER, b. 9 Dec 1844, Hahndorf SA , d. 24 Dec 1920, Adelaide SA (Age 76 years) |
||18 Apr 1866
||Oakbank SA 
- The wedding was at the residence of the father of Mary Ann. in Oakbank. Nowadays, Oakbank is 20 minutes from Callington.
|Children of marriage
||Callington SA 
|Frederick and Maryann had nine children - 4 males and 5 females, including Sophie. They were all born in Callington or nearby. |
||Callington SA 
|In about 1887, Frederick and Maryann and some of their children moved from Callington to Yatina. Yatina was a small town which is now a few hours north of Adelaide but in the late 1880s it was significant to being close to the developing railway line to Broken Hill. The family were in Yatina for about three years.|
After Yatina, the family moved to Adelaide although it seems that Frederick went to work at Broken Hill at times while the family remained in Adelaide. (However Sophie and Robert did actually live in Broken Hill.)
| ||1. Ellen Sophia SOMMER, b. 18 Mar 1867, Callington SA , d. 10 Jun1868, Callington SA (Age 1 years) |
| ||2. Elizabeth Barbara SOMMER, b. 11 May 1868, Callington SA |
|+||3. Sophie Henrietta SOMMER, b. 8 Jul 1869, Oakbank SA , d. 15 Jan 1956, Adelaide SA (Age 86 years) |
| ||4. William Christian George SOMMER, b. 1871, Hahndorf SA , d. 27 Feb 1889, Callington SA (Age 18 years) |
| ||5. Albert Frederick James SOMMER, b. 19 Aug 1873, Callington SA , d. 6 Nov 1916, Adelaide SA (Age 43 years) |
| ||6. Hannah Olive SOMMER, b. 27 Apr 1884, Callington SA |
||23 Jan 2018 11:24:17 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-61] FM Susan Nicholls, nee Moore - ID 8186 -evidence pending.
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au, https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=32 (Reliability: 3), 27 Jul 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
BIRTH: 1871, SOMMER,William Christian George father: Frederick August Louis SOMMER mother; Mary Ann WATT at Nairne SA Reg No.98/226
PUBLIC NOTICE: Before using, ANY details from this website ensure YOU further research the accuracy of our information to limit the effect of misdirection by any compounded human error.
- [S-61] FM Susan Nicholls, nee Moore - ID 8186 -evidence pending, Draft for magazine article in March 2017.
- [S-61] FM Susan Nicholls, nee Moore - ID 8186 -evidence pending, not provided by susan nicholls.
Mary Ann WHITFIELD Death 14Jun1937 Age: 63y
Approx. Birth Year: 1874 Residence: Gilberton
Death Place: Prospect SA RefNo: 591/2254
Since original DOD by family is 23.7.1928 and this finds 14.6.1937 I have left it for further scrutiny from other sources.
- [S-61] FM Susan Nicholls, nee Moore - ID 8186 -evidence pending, Email on 14th March 2017.