...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
||Mary b.1813 MCLEAN [1, 2] |
||22 Jan 1813
||Kilmallie Scotland 
- * Les Horn provided an image showing Mary baptized on 24th Jan 1813 - daughter of Donald McLean and Christ'n McPhee, Blaich
* Sally McPhee provided a spreadsheet (per micro film 1041070) showing a baptism on 24th Jan in 1810 rather than 1813 - daughter of Donald McLean & Christy McPhee, Blaich.
* Edwin MacLean email has Mary born on 22nd January 1813
* The compilers of the BRB had no knowledge of this Mary but they noted the gap between Allan & Hugh the elder. "There was possibly an infant who died between Allan and Ewen/Hugh" (BRB p7). The gap is 35 months. If Mary was in fact born on 22nd January 1813 & baptized on 24th Jan, we have a gap of 23 months between Allan & Mary - and just 13 months between Mary & Hugh.
* We need to double check the dates of these three births but maybe there has been some confusion about birth dates Vs baptism dates because the baptism may be(unusually) arranged many months after the actual birth. * This note by Don Gordon on 26th Aug 2018.
EMAIL From: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 17:23:36 +1000
Subject: Maclean of Blaich
To: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
It is okay to share research with the extended family. The tree was the work of many around the world and as such is still subject to further research. It is correct as far as one knows at this moment but there are bound to be errors found as work goes on. I would appreciate hearing of anything you or others may uncover.
I do not have many sources documented because of the type of research but do have a few e.g. Mary McLean, chr.24/1/1813 - GROS data:520/00 0010 0189, Kilmallie, Argyll.
||24 Jan 1813
||Kilmallie Scotland 
- It is thought that this Mary may have died early because: (A) There is a younger sister with the same name, born in 1818, (B) Early death is indirectly indicated by the quick baptism so soon after she was born, (C) She is not mentioned on the passenger list when her family migrated 24 years later.
||Christina and Donald McLean
||9 Jan 2019 |
||Donald b1779 MCLEAN, b. 26 Sep 1779, Blaich Scotland , d. 11 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA (Age 76 years) |
||Christina b1787 MCPHEE, b. 28 Apr 1787, Crieff Scotland , d. 9 Apr 1869, Strathalbyn SA (Age 81 years) |
|Children of marriage
||We are confident that there were 11 children - 2 X Hugh, 2 X Mary, Allan, John, Archibald, Ann, Rachel, Margaret & Jane. |
However, some researchers have proposed 4 others:-
* RICHARD: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Which ones?], but this might not be based on the authentic record. There are no other indications of this Richard in colonial records (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* ELIZABETH: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Leadbeater & Cummings) but this might not be based on the authentic record. It is stated that she was born in 1835 or 1836, and died in 1907. There are no other indications of this Elizabeth in colonial records. (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* HUGH: BRB p8 "The persistent inclusion of a Donald and a Hugh McLean who arrived in 1840 by ship 'Tomatin' must be an error as the listed children the same 10, who with their emigrating parents and in the father's Will. These two may have been nephews. If they were of an earlier marriage of Donald, he had three sons named Hugh which is carrying things a bit far as to names! There is a family story that 'two sons were sent to Venezuela to look for farming possibilities' referring of course to the Donald and Hugh on the 'Tomatin' of 1840. Then not discovering anything suitable followed on to SA. Nothing further is known of them although two of the same name were at Naracoorte in the South East quite early, and the names of the families were the same as those of the Donald McLeans. They were not mentioned in Donald McLean's Will."
* DONALD: See the quote for Hugh, above (BRB p8).
This note was by Don Gordon on 30th July 2018.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-18] PUBLICATION Edwin Maclean's genealogy(no sources provided), Person 14-ii.
- [S-51] GROS National Records of Scotland, Mary McLean, chr.24/1/1813 - GROS data:520/00 0010 0189, Kilmallie, Argyll - This reference was provided by Edwin MacLean.
- [S-87] http//:www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/, https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/view-image/nrs_opr_records/3753814?image=215 (Reliability: 1), 10 Feb 2017 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
BAPTISM register page number 75. Baptism 24 Jan 1813 Mary MacLean dau to Donald and Christian McPhee at Blaich. Register is numbered page 75.