...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
||Mary b.1813 MCLEAN |
||22 Jan 1813
||Blaich Scotland 
- * Les Horn provided an image showing Mary baptized on 24th Jan 1813 - daughter of Donald McLean and Christ'n McPhee, Blaich
* Sally McPhee provided a spreadsheet (per micro film 1041070) showing a baptism on 24th Jan in 1810 rather than 1813 - daughter of Donald McLean & Christy McPhee, Blaich.
* Edwin MacLean's email on 24 May 2016 has Mary born on 22nd January 1813 (Mary McLean, chr.24/1/1813 - GROS data:520/00 0010 0189, Kilmallie, Argyll).
* The compilers of the BRB had no knowledge of this Mary but they noted the gap between Allan & Hugh the elder. "There was possibly an infant who died between Allan and Ewen/Hugh" (BRB p7). The gap is 35 months. If Mary was in fact born on 22nd January 1813 & baptized on 24th Jan, we have a gap of 23 months between Allan & Mary - and just 13 months between Mary & Hugh.
* We need to double check the dates of these three births but maybe there has been some confusion about birth dates Vs baptism dates because the baptism may be(unusually) arranged many months after the actual birth. * This note by Don Gordon on 26th Aug 2018.
||24 Jan 1813
||Blaich Scotland 
|It is thought that this Mary may have died early because: (A) There is a younger sister with the same name, born in 1818, (B) Early death is indirectly indicated by the quick baptism so soon after she was born, (C) She is not mentioned on the passenger list when her family migrated 24 years later. |
||Christina and Donald McLean
||7 May 2020 |
||Donald b1779 MCLEAN, b. 26 Sep 1779, Blaich Scotland , d. 11 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA (Age 76 years) |
||Christina b1787 MCPHEE, b. 28 Apr 1787, Crieff Scotland , d. 9 Apr 1869, Strathalbyn SA (Age 81 years) |
|Children of marriage
||* OPRs: We have found birth records (OPRs) for all the 12 children, except for Margaret.|
* Naming: There were Ann X 2, Mary X 2 & Hugh (Ewen) X 2. The first Mary & first Ann died as infants whereas the Hughs survived to adulthood and are diffentiated by being referred to as 'the elder' or 'the younger'.
* Mother: The mother is variously recorded as Christian X 5, Christn, Christy, Catharine X 2, Mary, and Effie (or Essie). The records with Catherine, Mary & Effie are probably original clerical errors and we are confident that they are 'our' family because the birth place is specified as Duisky in each of these cases - and the father was Donald of course.
* Place: All the births were in the parish of Kilmallie. The first 4 births are specified as Blaich and all the later births were at Duisky.
1. Allan McLean - baptism 12th Feb 1811 in Blaich - Son to Donald McLean in Blaich & Christian McPhee in Blaich
2. Mary McLean - baptised 24th Jan 1813 in Blaich - Baptism on 24th Jan 1813 - McLean, Mary daughter of Donald & Christn McPhee - Blaich
3. Ewen McLean - baptized 27th January 1814 - Son of Don'd & Christian McPhee, Blaich
4. John McLean - born 1st Feb 1816, baptized 2nd Feb 1816 - Son of Donald, Blaich & Christian McPhie his spouse
5. Mary McLean - baptized on 5th Apr 1818 in Duisky - Baptism of daughter to Donald MacLean Duisgy and Catharine MacPhee
6. Anne McLean - baptized 18th Feb 1820 - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky and Catharine MacPhee
7. Archibald McLean - baptised 4th March 1821 - Son to Donald MacLean in Duisgi and Effie (or Essie?) MacPhee
8. Ann MacLean - born 6th April 1823 in Duisky - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky & Mary McPhee his wife
9. Rachel McLean - born 13th Feb 1825 in Duisky - 1825 Baptisms - Feb 13 - Rachel dau to Donald McLean in Duisky & Christian McPhee, born 6th
11. Jane (Jeane) McLean - born 18th April 1830, baptized 16th May 1830 in Kilmallie - 1830 Baptisms May 16th, Jeane daughter to Donald McLean tenant in Duskey Ardgour & Christion McPhee, born the 18th April last
12. Ewen McLean - born 26th May 1836 in Duisky - Ewen son of Donald McLean & Christy McPhee in Duisky
* (This note was by Don Gordon on 12th April 2019.)
|Children of marriage
||In addition to the 12 children accepted as 'our' family, some researchers have proposed 4 others:-|
* RICHARD: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Which ones?], but this might not be based on the authentic record. There are no other indications of this Richard in colonial records (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc). However there is a Richard listed with the family in the 1841 census for Strathalbyn (BRB p13) but this is considered to be a clerical error (check this) as it should have been Rachel. He is not mentioned in Donald's will.
* ELIZABETH: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [Barry Leadbeater & Dianne Cummings) but this might not be based on the authentic record. It is stated that she was born in 1835 or 1836, and died in 1907. There are no other indications of this Elizabeth in colonial records. (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc). In fact there might be confusion with Elizabeth DIXON who was the second wife John McLean - she was born in England in 1835, migrated in 1858, married John in 1874, and died in Strathalbyn in 1907. She is not mentioned in Donald's will.
* HUGH: BRB p8 "The persistent inclusion of a Donald and a Hugh McLean who arrived in 1840 by ship 'Tomatin' must be an error as the listed children the same 10, who with their emigrating parents and in the father's Will. These two may have been nephews. If they were of an earlier marriage of Donald, he had three sons named Hugh which is carrying things a bit far as to names! There is a family story that 'two sons were sent to Venezuela to look for farming possibilities' referring of course to the Donald and Hugh on the 'Tomatin' of 1840. Then not discovering anything suitable followed on to SA. Nothing further is known of them although two of the same name were at Naracoorte in the South East quite early, and the names of the families were the same as those of the Donald McLeans. They were not mentioned in Donald McLean's Will."
* DONALD: See the quote for Hugh, above (BRB p8).
This note was by Don Gordon on 30th July 2018.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-121] Family Search.org -------C & D McLean, GS Film Number 1041070, 22 May 2019 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
SOURCES: Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1560-1950
My Heritae.com(online database) Lehi, UT USA : My heritage (USA) Inc
Mary McLean, country united Kingdom, State Scotland, Film1041070
CITATION; Mary Mclean Christening: Jan 24 1813-Kilmallie, Argyll, scotland, Parents:Donald McLean and Christina/Christian McLean nee McPHee
- [S-87] BDM SCOTLANDS PEOPLE requires own log in, https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/view-image/nrs_opr_records/3753814?image=215 (Reliability: 1), 10 Feb 2017 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
BAPTISM register page number 75. Baptism 24 Jan 1813 Mary MacLean dau to Donald and Christian McPhee at Blaich. Register is numbered page 75.