...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
||James DONALDSON |
|James migrated from Northern Ireland in the 'Red Jacket', arriving in Melbourne. |
||James and Margaret Donaldson, nee Austin. |
The family lived on a farm at Kilkeel near Belfast.
James migrated from Northern lreland in the Red Jacket, arriving in Melbourne in I855. He travelled to Tower Hill in Western Victoria and from there wrote to his wife Margaret instructing her to sell their farm and bring the children to Australia.
Margaret and the family arrived at another Belfast, now Port Fairy, on Victoria?s south-west coast in 1857.
James and his family worked a farm overlooking the crater of Tower Hill, an extinct volcano, a few miles from the sea.
James and Margaret had ten children:
* Mary Ann born 1843 in lreland;
* Samuel born 1844 in lreland; became selectors in Horsham district.
* James born 1846 in lreland; became a selector in Horsham district.
* Sarah born 1849 in lreland; Sarah married William Cust in the Wimmera. Their son Albert George was born at Stawell. At 25 years he married Jean McCracken, at St Andrew?s Presbyterian Church, Horsham, on March 2, 1904. Margaret Donaldson died at 20 years.
* John born 1854 in lreland - see separate biography;
* Margaret Jane born 1855 in lreland;
* Martha born 1856 in lreland; Martha married a brother of Charles Mott.
* Elizabeth born 1861 at Purnim, Victoria;
* Theresa born l863 at Purnim;
* Annie Matilda born at Tower Hill. The youngest Donaldson, Annie, died at six years.
The Wimmera Shire rate book first shows the name Donaldson in 1873. That year lists James Donaldson, Samuel Donaldson and Margaret Jane Donaldson, all as farmers, of Natimuk. The names continue in 1874 and 1875. The year 1876 shows more detail: James Donaldson, 280 pasture acres, 40 cultivated acres, dwelling and fencing, nett annual value £40, rate at 12 pence in the pound, £2, paid June 2, 1876; Samuel Donaldson, 283 pasture acres, 36 cultivated acres and fencing only; Margaret J. Donaldson, 280 pasture acres, 40 cultivated acres, fencing; John Donaldson, 319 acres 3 roods 33 perches. The same names are entered in 1877, and John then had a dwelling on his block. ln 1878 and 1879 the names of Samuel, John, James and Martha L. are listed; no entry for Margaret Jane.
About five years after their arrival the Donaldsons decided to leave the Wimmera and settle near Warialda in northern New South Wales.
Margaret died at Tower Hill and was buried in the cemetery at its base, beside the Princes Highway.
James eventually retired to Warrnambool.
He was also buried at Tower Hill cemetery. He and Margaret are buried with two of their children, and a monument marks the grave.
||Christina and Donald McLean
||2 Dec 2015 |
||Margaret AUSTIN |
|Kilkeel is a small town, civil parish and townland in County Down, Northern Ireland. It lies within the historic barony of Mourne. |
| ||1. Mary Ann DONALDSON, b. 1843, Ireland |
| ||2. Samuel DONALDSON, b. 1844, Ireland |
| ||3. James DONALDSON, b. 1846, Ireland |
|+||4. Sarah DONALDSON, b. 1849|
|+||5. John DONALDSON, b. 1854, Newry Ireland , d. 23 Mar 1909, Warialda NSW (Age 55 years) |
| ||6. Margaret Jane DONALDSON, b. 1855, Ireland , d. 1875 (Age 20 years)|
|+||7. Martha DONALDSON, b. 1856, Ireland , d. 1939 (Age 83 years)|
| ||8. Elizabeth DONALDSON, b. 1861, Purnim Vic |
| ||9. Annie Matilda DONALDSON, b. Tower Hill Vic |
||20 Jan 2017 05:27:02 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , Page 220 in Rachel's section.