...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1859 - 1943 (84 years)
||Henry Louis MCKENRY [1, 2] |
- Sometimes spelt Lewis (BRB) rather than Louis (Pieterse)
||On April 24, 1912 at 'Innisvale', the home of her father, Esther May McDonald was married to John (Jack) Thomas McKenry by the Horsham Presbyterian minister, the Reverend Thomas Gray. The attendants were Joseph Henry Gordon Stevenson McKenry, brother of the groom, and Beatrice Louisa McDonald, sister of the bride. |
Jack was the son of Henry Louis and Janet McKenry, nee Poole, and was born in 1888 in Adelaide, South Australia.
The McKenry family had migrated to Australia from Ireland but was of Scottish origin. The McKenrys are members of the Henderson clan and also claim kinship with the Morrison and Macdonald clans.
In 1857 Jack's mother (or grandmother?), Matilda McKenry, had sailed from Liverpool in the 'Jessie Munn' with four sons, John, James, Joseph and Samuel, to join her husband John in Australia. The family disembarked at Geelong, Victoria, and journeyed to Bacchus Marsh where John was employed.
Four more children were born in Australia: Henry, Matilda, Sarah and Annie.
Henry went to Adelaide as a young man where he met and married Janet Poole.
After the birth of their first two children, John Thomas and Jessie Matilda, they returned to Victoria and bought a property at Toolondo, a district adjoining Nurrabiel and Carchap.
The McKenry family also operated a sawmill at Toolondo, and when Esther?s aunt Flora and her husband Joseph McDonald moved from Nurrabiel to the Mockinya district in 1906 the timber for their new home was sawn at McKenry's mill.
(Reference : Page 160 in Rachel's section of the original history of Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants.) 
||Christina and Donald McLean
||4 Aug 2016 |
||Mary Janet POOLE, b. 1864, d. 1952 (Age 88 years) |
||Adelaide SA 
|+||1. John Thomas MCKENRY, b. 2 Aug 1887, Thebarton SA , d. 7 May 1970 (Age 82 years) |
| ||2. Jessie Matilda MCKENRY, b. 1889, d. 1941 (Age 52 years)|
| ||3. Joseph Henry Gordon Stevenson MCKENRY, b. 1890, d. 1981 (Age 91 years)|
| ||4. Lily Victoria MCKENRY, b. 1892, d. 1969 (Age 77 years)|
|+||5. James MCKENRY, b. 1895, d. 1968 (Age 73 years)|
|+||6. William MCKENRY, b. 1898, d. 1970 (Age 72 years)|
| ||7. Doris MCKENRY, b. 1904, d. 1992 (Age 88 years)|
||26 Jan 2017 08:36:43 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-27] FM Hans Pieterse - ID 7971 - evidence pending.
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , Page 160 in Rachel's section .
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au requires login, 26 Jan 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
MARRIAGE 1886 Reg No:148/620 groom: MCKENRY,Henry Louis to bride:Mary Janet Poole at Adelaide SA
Public notice: some entries have little or no evidence provided. It is imperative that before assuming generalising the data to ensure followup evidence to maintain validity.