...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1845 - 1911 (65 years)
||William Donald MCLEAN  |
- William was known as Donald.
||25 Nov 1845
||Strathalbyn SA [1, 2]
CORIO HOTEL, GOOLWA Donald was the publican, from 13th Dec 1875 to 1879 (ref: Hotels & Publicans Directory).
AUSTRALIASIAN HOTEL, GOOLWA: Donald purchased this hotel from Henry Strong Price on 4th June 1879. The title was LXXV - 191 at the corner of Porter St & Hays St, Goolwa (or Section 179, Goolwa Terrace).
Donald was listed as the publican from 1880 to 1882 (ref: Hotels & Publicans Directory). On the day of purchase Donald took out a mortgage 99458 for a loan from William Homer for 700 pounds @ 8%. William was his father-in-law. A couple of weeks later, 17th June 1879, Donald took out another mortgage 100025 for a loan from his father Allan McLean.
And another week later, on 26th June, there was another mortgage 100412 this time, a loan from Robert Haldane (Donald's brother-in-law) to Allan (why was this loan against Donald's property? - this does not make sense). Then the Power of Attorney General Register Office number 120 of 1881 on 3rd Aug 1881 (what was this all about?). And also on 3rd Aug, there was transfer 129364 from Robert Haldane to group (and what does this mean?) On 11th Jan 1883, another mortgage 154730 was a loan to Donald from John Hannah Gordon who seemed to have taken ownership from Donald around this time.(ref: Maureen Edwards).
BUSH INN: GAWLER. Donald and his wife were involved in this hotel at some stage. (ref: Maureen Edwards)
NORTH KAPUNDA HOTEL:Details unknown.
||William Donald McLean - born 25/11/1845 at Strathalbyn|
MARRIED: Margaret Ann Homer at Strathalbyn on 5/4/1875. She was born 26/11/1853 in S.A. the daughter of William and Margaret (O'Neil) Homer. They are shown as of the Catholic faith in the Biographical Index,
In Directories he was a publican of Goolwa - the Corio Hotel 13/12/1872 ? to 12/12/1875 Became a Town Councillor (not the Mayor of Goolwa as stated elsewhere.)
DEATH: of Donald on 7/9/1911, aged 65 years, at Glen Osmond Rd. Eastwood, S.A.
(1) Donald Sinclair Homer McLean born 18/7/1877 died 17/9/1909 at Agnes St. Eastwood aged 32 years,
(2) William Dawson McLean born 25/5/1879. Married - no children. Residence: (in 1922) Phillip St. Wolseley, S.A.
||7 Sep 1911
||Eastwood SA 
||Christina and Donald McLean | Allan McLean's descendants
||16 Jan 2017 |
||Allan MCLEAN, b. 12 Feb 1811, Blaich Scotland , d. 2 Sep 1890, Plympton SA (Age 79 years) |
||Catherine DAWSON, b. 1825, Tehran Persia , d. 21 Jan 1892, Hackney SA (Age 67 years) |
||29 Feb 1844
||Mt Barker SA [4, 5]
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 3.
MCLEAN Allan, Catherine DAWSON, parents of child born 1845-11-25 named Donald at Strathalbyn
The child Donald in fact [according to our website?BRB] is William Donald BORN 25.11.1845 at Strathalbyn SA is a match. Assumed this to be a citation/source.
The above website by Barry Leadbetter found by researcher Lorna McLean 05/12/2016
- [S-12] FM Maureen Edwards about Goolwa Hotels.
- [S-8] PUBLICATION Dawson book in Goolwa Library, Yvonne Heath of Morphettville, (Heath of Morphettville), C0461991941 - Goolwa.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 16 Jan 2017 Research: Lorna McLean.
Married Allan McLean and Catherine Dawson at "Wheatsheaf Inn, Mt Barker SA aged 33, 19yoa on 29 Feb 1844". Ref: 7/34