...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1905 - 1976 (71 years)
||Robert Napier MCLEAN  |
- Napier is second name of two sons named Robert McLean. Of course this Robert was given a nickname "Tick". Some of this was not provided in the initial BRB and was advised later. Source Don Gordon.
||Tick or Tik |
||9 Mar 1905
||Strathalbyn SA [1, 2]
- The BRB has Tick's birth in Strathalbyn whereas Susan Nicholls has him being born in Norwood.
||13 May 1912-1919
||Strathalbyn SA 
|The Strathalbyn school records show that Robert Napier enrolled on 13 May 1912 and left June 1919. |
||Notes from BRB:|
* He was known as "Tick".
* He was born 12 years after his brother and 2 years before his sister.
* Married: at Melbourne Mary Florence Collins (b. 28/12/1923).
* He worked as a munitions factory during the war.
* Then, until 1949, he did saw milling at Cockatoo, Victoria.
* In 1949 he returned to Strathalbyn where he worked as a builder (& according to the 1967 Electoral Roll also as a plumber).
* His residence in the 1967 Electoral Roll was Lot 34, North Parade, Strathalbyn, but locally it was said to be 5 Melville Lane.
* From Strathalbyn he went to Coonalpyn, S.A. & was there by 1966 with the E&WS Department.
* He retired in 1975 at the age of 70 & moved to Littlehampton near Mt Barker.
* By this time his wife had left him & with her daughter Margaret had returned to Melbourne.
* Death of Tick: Notice in the Adelaide "Advertiser" stated that Robert Napier McLean of Blakiston Road, Littlehampton died suddenly on 25/8/1977 aged 72 years. "Husband of Shirley, father of Margaret and Pauline, father-in-law of Mervyn and grandpa of David & Susan." An explanation is needed as Tick did not marry a second time & his wife was still living. Shirley was his housekeeper/companion, Margaret his wife's daughter but not his. However, Pauline was the only child of his marriage. He was cremated at Centennial Park Crematorium.
* Death of Tick's wife, Mary, at Melbourne on 7/11/1979 - 2 years after Tick in SA.
||Belair SA 
|* In 1939, Robert Napier was listed as a chauffeur at Belair (ref: Susan Nicholls)|
* Munitions factory during the war
* Saw milling at Cockatoo, Victoria up to 1949
* Builder in Strathalbyn after 1949
* Plumber (ref: 1967 electoral roll)
* E&WS Department at Cooonalpyn by 1966
* Retired in 1975
||Strathalbyn SA 
|* Strathalbyn as a child|
* 220 Canterbury Road, St Kilda West - while working at the munitions factory during the war (ref: Susan Nicholls)
* Alexander Rd, Cockatoo, Victoria prior to 1949
* Moved back to Strathalbyn in 1949
* On the 1967 Electoral Roll his address was Lot 34 North Parade, Strathalbyn, but locally it was said to be 5 Melville Lane.
* Coonalpyn, S.A. - was there by 1966
* Blakiston Rd, Littlehampton near Mt Barker in 1975
||25 Aug 1976 [1, 2]
- The BRB has Tick's death as 1977 whereas Susan Nicholls has it as 1976.
||27 Aug 1976
||Centennial Park SA 
||Christina and Donald McLean | Ewen (Hugh the younger) McLean's descendants
||18 Sep 2018 |
||Robert Tannahill MCLEAN, b. 29 Jan 1865, Strathalbyn SA , d. 13 Feb 1931, Adelaide SA (Age 66 years) |
||Sophie Henrietta SOMMER, b. 8 Jul 1869, Oakbank SA , d. 15 Jan 1956, Adelaide SA (Age 86 years) |
||2 Sep 1890
||Yatina SA 
||Sophie might not have been living with her parents just prior to getting married but the wedding was in her parent's home in Yatina. It may be that they travelled up to Yatina only for their wedding or may have travelled with the family. |
It appears that Sophie and Robert travelled to Broken Hill shortly after, as they have two sons born in Broken Hill.
Then they travelled to Adelaide or directly to Strathalbyn. Their next children were born in Adelaide but it is not clear whether the family was living in Adelaide or maybe they were living in Strathalbyn but Sophie might have gone to her mother's house in Adelaide for the children's births.
Later the family moved to Langhorne Creek.
Sophie and Robert were both buried in West Terrace Cemetery because they were in Adelaide Hospital. 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-61] FM Susan Nicholls, nee Moore - ID 8186 -evidence pending.