...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1863 - 1926 (62 years)
||Christina McFee MCLEAN  |
||17 Apr 1863
||Strathalbyn SA 
- BORN REGISTRATION: CHRISTINA McPHEE McLEAN (incorrectly registered as McFee) born 17/4/1863 at Strathalbyn.SA
||MARRIAGE: on 28/2/1894 (at the age of 30) to James Stanley Keough (pronounced "Kew") at Christinas father's residence, Strathalbyn SA by the Rev. G. C. Love (Presbyterian Notice in the "Southern Argus"). [1, 2] |
- HISTORY: James Stanley Keough was born 25/4/1853. His father, James Keough senior was well known as a first class "whip" and drove the first coach from Adelaide to the south-east of the State and the passengers presented him with a silver mounted whip to mark the occasion. James senior also was the driver of coaches between Adelaide & Strathalbyn. He died early, aged 47 in 1873 and his widow appears in Directories as having a dairy at Strathalbyn for several years and was noted for her cheeses. Their son James Stanley who married Christina McPhee McLean was a stockman and cook at camps and on Murray River paddle steamers. Of the six children born to this marriage four were at Strathalbyn and two were at Wentworth, N.S.W.
FURTHER NOTES of James Stanley Keough & Christina:
James was a cook at Moorna Station on the Anabranch near Wentworth, NSW. Christina travelled back to S.A. (and to Strathalbyn for the births of some of her children) by river boat, hence those registered in S.A. There were 6 in total.
||28 Feb 1894
|At the age of 22 and before her marriage, Christina gave birth to a son James McLean on 18/3/1885 at home at Strathalbyn SA. Her mother Margaret registered the boy. He died at the age of 5 years on 12/3/1890. Father "unknown".|
||24 Mar 1926
||Strathalbyn SA [1, 3]
||Strathalbyn SA 
||Christina and Donald McLean | Ewen (Hugh the younger) McLean's descendants
||10 Dec 2016 |
||Phillip James b.1856 KEOUGH, Leading Aircraftman, b. 1856, Strathalbyn SA , d. 13 Jun 1923, Strathalbyn SA (Age 67 years) |
||28 Feb 1894
||Strathalbyn SA 
- Married at residence of Hugh McLean.
| ||1. Margaret Olive KEOUGH, b. 13 Nov 1894, Strathalbyn SA , d. 29 Jun 1984, Adelaide SA (Age 89 years) |
| ||2. Hughie KEOUGH, b. 8 Apr 1896, Strathalbyn SA , d. 26 Jan 1955, Adelaide SA (Age 58 years)|
| ||3. James Stanley b.1897 KEOUGH, Private, b. 21 Jul 1897, Strathalbyn SA , d. 24 Mar 1973, Centennial Park SA (Age 75 years) |
| ||4. Allan Murray KEOUGH, b. 1 Apr 1899, Strathalbyn SA , d. 14 Apr 1951, Strathalbyn SA (Age 52 years) |
| ||5. Christina (Tina) KEOUGH, b. 12 Nov 1900, Wentworth NSW , d. 27 Sep 1985, Adelaide SA (Age 84 years) |
| ||6. Robert Henry KEOUGH, b. 21 Jul 1902, Wentworth NSW , d. 21 Dec 1971, Strathalbyn SA (Age 69 years)|
||12 Feb 2018 08:09:41 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||J23 - Edwin McLean's letter in 1946|
This letter was probably to Edwin's cousin, Rachel Hornby. He alludes to Rachel's parents (Catherine & Allan McLean), her brothers (Allan & Jack 'JSD'), uncle (Hugh the younger), aunty (Elizabeth Ann & Mathew Johnston) and the Keoughs.
With notes by Don Gordon in June 2021.
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-63] NEWSPAPER TROVE Southern Argus SA.
- [S-63] NEWSPAPER TROVE Southern Argus SA, 8 Apr 1926.
DEATH: Christina Keough died on 24/3/1926 aged 63 years. There were brief obituaries for both in the "Southern Argus" and they were buried at the Strathalbyn Cemetery.
OBITUARY: "Southern Argus" 8/4/1926:
"The late Mrs Keough who died recently somewhat suddenly, was born at Strathalbyn SA in 1863. The daughter of the late Mr Hugh McLean, one of the earliest settlers of the district and wife of the late James S. Keough. She spent several years of her life at Wentworth, N.S.W. but the remaining at Strathalbyn. She leaves four sons and two daughters - Hughie of Strathalbyn - Stanley of Port Lincoln - Murray of Strathalbyn - Ruben of Poi1 Pirle ~ Mrs H. O. Clarke of Croydon Park and Miss Tina Keough of Strathalbyn. The deceased was much esteemed and her death is deeply regretted by friends."
- [S-38] My Heritage, my heritage (with a log in), 25 Nov 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Margaret McLean (born Tannahill) Birth Sep 15 1839 Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland Emigration Circa 1860 Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland Marriage to: Ewan MCLEAN Apr 13 1862 Strathalbyn, South Australia
Groom Last Name: KEOUGH
Bride Given Name(s): Christina
Bride Last Name: MCLEAN
Marriage Date: 1894, February 28
Marriage Place: Res of Hugh McLean Strathalbyn
Groom Age: 38
Groom Approx. Birth Year: 1856
Groom Marital Status: S
Groom Father: James KEOUGH
Bride Age: 31
Bride Approx. Birth Year: 1863
Bride Marital Status: S
Bride Father Name: Hugh MCLEAN