...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1827 - 1912 (85 years)
||Margaret MCLEAN  |
||Argyll Scotland 
||30 Jul 1912
||Geelong Vic [2, 3]
||Christina and Donald McLean | Margaret McLean's descendants
||2 Feb 2017 |
||Donald b1779 MCLEAN, b. 26 Sep 1779, Blaich Scotland , d. 11 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA (Age 76 years) |
||Christina b1787 MCPHEE, b. 28 Apr 1787, Crieff Scotland , d. 9 Apr 1869, Strathalbyn SA (Age 81 years) |
|Children of marriage
||* OPRs: We have found birth records (OPRs) for all the 12 children, except for Margaret.|
* Naming: There were Ann X 2, Mary X 2 & Hugh (Ewen) X 2. The first Mary & first Ann died as infants whereas the Hughs survived to adulthood and are diffentiated by being referred to as 'the elder' or 'the younger'.
* Mother: The mother is variously recorded as Christian X 5, Christn, Christy, Catharine X 2, Mary, and Effie (or Essie). The records with Catherine, Mary & Effie are probably original clerical errors and we are confident that they are 'our' family because the birth place is specified as Duisky in each of these cases - and the father was Donald of course.
* Place: All the births were in the parish of Kilmallie. The first 4 births are specified as Blaich and all the later births were at Duisky.
1. Allan McLean - baptism 12th Feb 1811 in Blaich - Son to Donald McLean in Blaich & Christian McPhee in Blaich
2. Mary McLean - baptised 24th Jan 1813 in Blaich - Baptism on 24th Jan 1813 - McLean, Mary daughter of Donald & Christn McPhee - Blaich
3. Ewen McLean - baptized 27th January 1814 - Son of Don'd & Christian McPhee, Blaich
4. John McLean - born 1st Feb 1816, baptized 2nd Feb 1816 - Son of Donald, Blaich & Christian McPhie his spouse
5. Mary McLean - baptized on 5th Apr 1818 in Duisky - Baptism of daughter to Donald MacLean Duisgy and Catharine MacPhee
6. Anne McLean - baptized 18th Feb 1820 - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky and Catharine MacPhee
7. Archibald McLean - baptised 4th March 1821 - Son to Donald MacLean in Duisgi and Effie (or Essie?) MacPhee
8. Ann MacLean - born 6th April 1823 in Duisky - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky & Mary McPhee his wife
9. Rachel McLean - born 13th Feb 1825 in Duisky - 1825 Baptisms - Feb 13 - Rachel dau to Donald McLean in Duisky & Christian McPhee, born 6th
11. Jane (Jeane) McLean - born 18th April 1830, baptized 16th May 1830 in Kilmallie - 1830 Baptisms May 16th, Jeane daughter to Donald McLean tenant in Duskey Ardgour & Christion McPhee, born the 18th April last
12. Ewen McLean - born 26th May 1836 in Duisky - Ewen son of Donald McLean & Christy McPhee in Duisky
* (This note was by Don Gordon on 12th April 2019.)
|Children of marriage
||In addition to the 12 children accepted as 'our' family, some researchers have proposed 4 others:-|
* RICHARD: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Which ones?], but this might not be based on the authentic record. There are no other indications of this Richard in colonial records (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* ELIZABETH: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Leadbeater & Cummings) but this might not be based on the authentic record. It is stated that she was born in 1835 or 1836, and died in 1907. There are no other indications of this Elizabeth in colonial records. (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* HUGH: BRB p8 "The persistent inclusion of a Donald and a Hugh McLean who arrived in 1840 by ship 'Tomatin' must be an error as the listed children the same 10, who with their emigrating parents and in the father's Will. These two may have been nephews. If they were of an earlier marriage of Donald, he had three sons named Hugh which is carrying things a bit far as to names! There is a family story that 'two sons were sent to Venezuela to look for farming possibilities' referring of course to the Donald and Hugh on the 'Tomatin' of 1840. Then not discovering anything suitable followed on to SA. Nothing further is known of them although two of the same name were at Naracoorte in the South East quite early, and the names of the families were the same as those of the Donald McLeans. They were not mentioned in Donald McLean's Will."
* DONALD: See the quote for Hugh, above (BRB p8).
This note was by Don Gordon on 30th July 2018.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||James KEATING, b. c.1825, UK , d. 1860, SA (Age ~ 35 years) |
||8 Aug 1850
||Adelaide SA [2, 4]
- on 27.5.2016 Lorna McLean altered the year of marriage of Margaret McLean to first husband from 1950 to 1850. the dates dont marry up AT ALL otherwise.
IN FACT THE PROFILE OF MARGARET MCLEAN STATES (even with above alteration-guesstimate-change) that her first child ELIZABETH KEATING was born 1848. Not unusual for those days as distances to registry offices are few and far between. At 20miles a day on horse back. Add a buggy, weather and a newly delivered baby to more travel time on a buggy.
05/12/2016 Another website http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html
states KEATING James, Margaret MCLEAN married 1850-08-08 at Manse, Freeman St, Adelaide SA, aged 25, 23. This is giving them birth dates of James in 1825, and Margaret 1827? Further research necessary to justify altering the BRB team research.
||21 Feb 2018 09:09:49 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Wedding of William McDONALD & Christina CAMERON 1880 - with Jenny McDonald, Margaret JOHNS, Rachel McDonald & Jessie McNaughton|
Donald 'William' McDonald and Christina Cameron on their wedding day in 1880. The bride and groom are seated. Standing, from left, are Rachel Jane Cheriton 'Jenny' McDonald, aunt Johns (Margaret Johns, previously Keating, nee McLean), the groom's mother Rachel McDonald (nee McLean), and Jessie McNaughton, a cousin of the bride.
||Margaret JOHNS, previously KEATING, nee McLEAN in 1880.jpg|
Photo at the wedding of Margaret (aunt Johns) of her nephew Donald 'William' McDonald.
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-18] PUBLICATION Edwin Maclean's genealogy(no sources provided), Person 14-ix.
- [S-64] PUBLICATION "Belvidere" Lance C Wakefield 1992, (Mr Lance Wakefield, Printed: Lutheran Publishing House 205 Halifax st Adelaide), ISBN 0 646 122 010., 107, 2 February 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
within the last paragraph of MCLEAN section offers Margaret as birth:L1827 and death:1908, married James Keating of Melbourne and Richard Jones in qld and died at Geelong Vic leaving an only daughter. Researcher not altered dates.
PUBLIC NOTICE: before using ANY details from this website ensure YOU further research accuracy of our information to limit the effect of misdirection by any compounded human error.
Groom Last Name: KEATING
Bride Given Name(s): Margaret
Bride Last Name: MCLEAN
Marriage Date: 1850, August 08
Marriage Place: Manse Freeman St Adelaide
Groom Age: 25
Groom Approx. Birth Year: 1825
Groom Marital Status: N
Bride Age: 23
Bride Approx. Birth Year: 1827
Bride Marital Status: S
Bride Father Name:
- [S-18] PUBLICATION Edwin Maclean's genealogy(no sources provided), Spouse of person 14-ix.