...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1825 - 1860 (~ 34 years)
||James KEATING  |
- Arrived on Navarino on which the McLeans were travelling. However James would have to be 12yoa if our entries are correct. And that is unlikely until further information comes to light as on the ship he is identified as a victuiller (in 2016 meaning alcohol licensee). And the ships list seems to suggest that he travelled alone.
And yet he married Margaret McLean b1827 (two years younger than him) which is again conjecture but a more likely age match if you can get past the "occupation of a 12yoa male"? It was 1837!
- Further research required since James using below dates make him travelling on the Navarino ""as a victualler" at the age of either 12 or 17 yoa. This information seems flawed since in this time one was "not an adult" until 21yoa.
SA Genealogy SA reports James born in UK in c.1825 on his entry to Wedding/Marriage to Margaret McLean so this having evidence is entered.
Whereas Edwin MacLean has James Keatings birth as 1820, no evidence or explanation provided.
||6 Dec 1837
||Ship Navarino 
|James Keating-Listed as passenger on Navarino on same ship as McLean family. No dates, ages ONLY-BISA-British Immigration Shipping Archives |
Later Married Margaret McLean with ship records as her being 10yoa on the journey in 1837 then marrying in c1850 after child Elizabeth born 1848-see I5279
Possibility of birth unable to be recorded due to distance from registry office by horse. ljm
Birth Certificate checking required
Researcher Lorna McLean 05.12.2016
||James Keating listed as lone passenger on the Navarino which arrived in Adelaide on 6th Dec 1837. This was the same voyage as Margaret and her parents and siblings. He would have been 12 years old and Margaret was 10 years old. |
James and Margaret were married about 13 years after they had been in the colony.
||3 Mar 1860
||Normanville SA 
|OBSTRUCTING POLICE.- Michael McLean and James Keating were fined 10s.each and costs for obstructing Police Trooper Stretton in taking a prisoner in charge. |
||Belvidere SA 
|Licenced victualler-entry of occupation on Navarino passenger listing.Publican at Belvidere SA in 1879. [Stated P9 in publication "Belvidere by Lance Wakefield"1992 |
||Adelaide SA 
|THIS NEEDS REVISION; i grabbed it and pasted with intention to return to split the information ans validate accuracy |
||Christina and Donald McLean | Margaret McLean's descendants
||16 Sep 2020 |
||Margaret MCLEAN, b. 1827, Argyll Scotland , d. 30 Jul 1912, Geelong Vic (Age 85 years) |
||8 Aug 1850
||Adelaide SA 
|+||1. Elizabeth KEATING, b. 6 May 1851, Glen Osmond SA , d. 12 Jun 1926, WA (Age 75 years) |
||5 Feb 2021 10:51:13 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-22] Navarino Passenger List Aug-Dec1837, Hobart Tasmania State Library, Navarino Passenger List 1837, Lorna McLean observed this passenger; entry 12.06.
Travelled as registered passenger of Navarino landing 6 December 1837 (same ship as Donald and Christina McLean). Registered as a victualler (licensed to sell alcohol) as yes opened a Strathalbyn hotel and later married Margaret after the birth of her only known child Elizabeth b1848 m.1850
- [S-52] http://ancestry.com.au, https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?name=joshua_harrison&event=_wooburn-buckinghamshire-england-united+kingdom_82295&birth=1813&birth_x=0-0-0_1-0&event_x=0-0-0_1-0&location=3257.3250&name_x=ps_1&priority=scottish&types=rt, 26 Aug 2019 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
offers a death in Victoria, Australia. NFI, also My heritage offers death in Victoria Australia, NFI available.
- [S-2] NEWSPAPER TROVE Adelaide Observer SA (1843-1904, https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/158173738?searchTerm=james+keating, 9 Jun 2020 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
LOCAL COURTS NORMANVILLE: WEDNESDAY. FEBRUARY 22.
[Before Messrs.. B. F. Laurie, S.M., William Randell J.P.. and Septimane Herbert J.P. Hearing was taken and reported as follows notes.
- [S-124] https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/Steamer_Marsala_%289Oct1883%29, https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/Steamer_Marsala_%289Oct1883%29, 9 Apr 2020 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
James KEATING m. Margaret MCLEAN on 1850, August 08 at The Manse Freeman St Adelaide Groom Age: 25 Birth Year: 1825 Groom Marital Status: N Groom Father:unknown Bride Age: 23 Birth Year: 1827 Bride Marital Status: S Bride Father Name: unnamed Adelaide SA Book/Page: 7/216