...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1851 - 1926 (75 years)
||Elizabeth KEATING  |
||6 May 1851
||Glen Osmond SA [1, 2, 3]
||"There is very little information about Elizabeth KEATING. She was apparently the only daughter of James KEATING and Margaret (nee McLEAN). We have been informed that Elizabeth, married a man named HOGFLESH (or HOGSFLESH) but may have changed her surname to GRIFFITH. There is no confirmation of this possibility. As far as we know, there is no other information about Elizabeth. We were unable to trace her."|
The above notes were based on the BRB published in 1995, but there was a breakthrough when the C&D McLean committee received significant details from Jan Harvey in September 2020. 
||Elizabeth was the first cousin of Harriet Keating who was married to James Lewis. |
James and Harriet had four children, but she died in 1880, then James married Elizabeth and their first child was born in 1881.
||MAYBE Elizabeth died some years before 1910 because the biography of her mother, Margaret, states that, in 1910, Margaret made a point of giving a bible to her grand-niece Christina Cameron (nee McDonald) and this bible had Elizabeth's name already written in it. It is not so likely that Margaret would have given Elizabeth's bible away if Elizabeth was still living.  |
||There are some mysteries about Elizabeth's life. |
* Why did she leave her two boys in Brisbane and come to Christchurch?
* What were the circumstances whereby she had a child to Alfred just the year following the death of Alfred's first wife, Harriet who was Elizabeth's first cousin?
* Why did the family move from Christchurch to Hawthorn around 1890?
* Why did the family move to Perth?
||12 Jun 1926
||WA [5, 6, 7, 8]
||Christina and Donald McLean | Margaret McLean's descendants
||5 Feb 2021 |
||James KEATING, b. c1825, UK , d. 1860, Victoria (Age ~ 34 years) |
||Margaret MCLEAN, b. 1827, Argyll Scotland , d. 30 Jul 1912, Geelong Vic (Age 85 years) |
||8 Aug 1850
||Adelaide SA 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Alfred James LEWIS, b. 1880, Christchurch New Zealand |
| ||1. Hilda Harriet LEWIS, b. 1881, Christchurch New Zealand , d. 1883 (Age 2 years) |
|+||2. Ivy Australia LEWIS, b. 10 Nov 1884, Christchurch New Zealand , d. 16 May 1930, Perth WA (Age 45 years) |
| ||3. Lionel Chandos LEWIS, b. 1886, Christchurch New Zealand |
|+||4. Eileen Gladys Victoria LEWIS, b. 1892, Hawthorn Vic |
||16 Sep 2020 10:42:34 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||5196 - Elizabeth Keating & Griffiths & Hogsflesh|
Margaret's descendants - biography as published in the BRB in 1995.
There is another person GRIFFITHS. database has only 5. a female b1961, male b.1963, male b.1929, male b.unknown, male b. 1965 dont know which to attach to elizabeth b1848 and hogsflesh b unknown AND NO IMAGE TO USE AS REFERENCE-do you know Don?
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-59] Family History Group SA-COLONISTS, Barry Leadbetter, 1, 16.01.2017 Lorna McLean.
KEATING James, Margaret MCLEAN, parents of child born 1851-05-06 named Elizabeth at Glen Osmond SA: this detail entered. Removing just year 1848. There are some locations citing the ages of the parents and the child. Researcher Lorna McLean 05.12.2016
- [S-75] BDM SA, https://www.genealogysa.org.au requires log in , 21 Jun 2019 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Elizabeth KEATING Birth Date: 1851, May 06 Gender: F Father: James KEATING Mother: Margaret MCLEIN Birth Place/Residence: Glen Osmond SA Ref/Page: 3/212
- [S-232] Jan Harvey unknown source/communications, Email 8th Sept 2020.
- [S-137] FS Mark Brabant-no evidence provided-pending evidence, 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
HS in Strathalbyn
- [S-52] http://ancestry.com.au, ancestry.co.au with log in , 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Name:Elizabeth Lewis nee keating Death Place:Western Australia Registration Year: 1926 Registration Place:Perth, Western Australia
- [S-80] BDM WA, www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au, 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
DEATH; Lewis Elizabeth Female LOCATION; Perth REGISTRATON NUMBER; 733 YEAR; 1926
- [S-126] CEMETERY WA MCB Pinnaroo, Karrakatta, Fremantle , metropolitan cemeteries board of WA, 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Summary Of Record Information First Name ELIZABETH Application Number Last Name LEWIS Names are only recorded in capitals KB00033332 Karrakatta Burial Aged (Years) 75 Date of Death 12/06/1926 Suburb E PERTH Grave Location KARRAKATTA CEMETERY Cemetery CHURCH OF CHRIST Area or Denomination BA Section 0192 Gravesite Grant Number K0017345 Grantee Grant Status EXPIRED At today's date ExpiryUNKNOWN
James KEATING m. Margaret MCLEAN on 1850, August 08 at The Manse Freeman St Adelaide Groom Age: 25 Birth Year: 1825 Groom Marital Status: N Groom Father:unknown Bride Age: 23 Birth Year: 1827 Bride Marital Status: S Bride Father Name: unnamed Adelaide SA Book/Page: 7/216