...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1825 - 1892 (67 years)
||Catherine DAWSON  |
||Tehran Persia [1, 2]
- Nancy Gemmell ('Old Strathalbyn', p14) states Catherine was born in Glasgow in 1823. However, Persia has been confirmed by John Mathews.
||30 Apr 1839
||Adelaide SA [3, 4]
|In 1839 in the 'Fairfield', Catherine migrated from Scotland with her mother and siblings (her father had come out earlier). Catherine had applied for a free passage as a domestic, so like many other girls she probably sailed as a help to a family of friends. |
||* Teheran and Constantinople, Persia|
||21 Jan 1892
||Hackney SA [6, 7]
- Catherine died in Eliza's house in Hackney, Adelaide.
- Death Notice. Chronical 23rd January 1892.
McLean. On the 21st January, at her daughter's residence, Vaughan's Mansion, Katherine, beloved wife of the late Allan McLean, Aged 64 years.
- Express & Telegraph, January 23 1892.
The friends of the late Catherine McLean are respectfully informed that her remains will be removed from her daughter's residence ( Mrs. Haldane), Vaughan's Mansion, Hackney, this day at 2.00pm. for interement in the West Terrace Cemetery. J.B.Siebert, Undertaker.
||West Terrace Cemetery SA
||Christina and Donald McLean | Allan McLean's descendants
||16 Mar 2021 |
||James (snr) DAWSON, Sergeant, b. 00 May 1785, Falkirk Scotland , d. 22 May 1865, Strathalbyn SA (Age ~ 80 years) |
||Jane (Jean) HAMILTON, b. 24 Feb 1802, Hamilton Lanarkshire Scotland , d. 9 Aug 1885, Springfield SA (Age 83 years) |
||16 Feb 1816
||Falkirk Scotland [7, 8, 9, 10]
- Irregular marriage:
A marriage by declaration was perfectly legal in terms of Scots Law until 1939 [but] it wasn't at all "legal" in terms of the canonical "laws" of the Established Church of Scotland. ..... A proportion of those who underwent a marriage by declaration did so in the presence of a minister of a secession church, or a minister who had at that time no "charge", ie wasn't the minister of any church. .... It could have equally been the case that the minister involved here, unnamed, was a secession church minister, but the couple still wanted the marriage recorded in the Old Parochial Register ... of the Established Church of Scotland.
(Source: DavidWW, 28th Feb 2007 in http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8203)
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Allan b.1811 Snr MCLEAN, b. 12 Feb 1811, Blaich Scotland , d. 2 Sep 1890, Plympton SA (Age 79 years) |
||29 Feb 1844
||Mt Barker SA [7, 11]
| ||1. William Donald MCLEAN, b. 25 Nov 1845, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Sep 1911, Eastwood SA (Age 65 years) |
| ||2. Jane Hamilton MCLEAN, b. 17 Jul 1847, Strathalbyn SA , d. 26 Jun 1916, Tarcowie SA (Age 68 years) |
| ||3. Christina McPhee b1849 (Tina) MCLEAN, b. 11 Jul 1849, Strathalbyn SA , bur. 23 Jun 1936, Karrakatta WA (Age ~ 86 years) |
| ||4. Eliza Ann b1851 MCLEAN, b. 25 Mar 1851, Strathalbyn SA , d. 28 Nov 1911, Strathalbyn SA (Age 60 years) |
| ||5. James Dawson MCLEAN, b. 25 Jun 1855, Strathalbyn SA , d. 4 Jul 1931, Brighton SA (Age 76 years) |
| ||6. Mary Dawson MCLEAN, b. 23 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Aug 1940, Orroroo SA (Age 84 years) |
| ||7. Allan b.1857 MCLEAN, b. 11 Nov 1857, Strathalbyn, South Australia , d. 20 Mar 1930, Adelaide SA (Age 72 years) |
| ||8. Katherine Graham 'Kitty' MCLEAN, b. 9 Apr 1860, Meadowbank SA , d. 15 May 1915, Kybybolite SA (Age 55 years) |
| ||9. Rachel MCLEAN, b. 21 Mar 1863, Strathalbyn SA , d. 6 Aug 1949, Port Pirie SA (Age 86 years) |
| ||10. John Stuart Duncan MCLEAN, b. 12 Jul 1865, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Nov 1926 (Age 61 years) |
| ||11. Margaret MCLEAN, b. 16 Feb 1869, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Mar 1906, Claremont WA (Age 37 years) |
||24 Nov 2017 15:03:56 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
Catherine McLean, nee Dawson
HS Allan d.1890 and Catherine D.1892 McLean West Terrace Cemetery Adelaide SA
BDM 1892 DEATH Catherine McLean, nee Dawson - died 21st May 1892 in Hacking
|Stories - new
||Allan McLean & Catherine, nee Dawson |
This biography, by Don Gordon, was uploaded on this website in Dec 2019.
* Allan was born in 1811 in Blaich (Scotland), lived nearby in Duisky, and migrated to South Australia when he was 26 years old.
* Catherine was born about 1827 in Persia, grew up in Falkirk (Scotland), and migrated when she was 15 years old.
* They married in 1844 and raised a large family on their property, Meadow Bank, in Strathalbyn.
* Allan acquired many farming properties and farmed in the area for almost four decades. But he sold everything when he was 67 years old and took up farming in Collinsfield.
* Collinsfield was not successful for Allan and he quickly became bankrupt and thus was comparatively poor in his last decade of his life.
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-52] http://ancestry.com.au, ancestry.co.au with log in , 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Catherine Dawson 1823?1892 BIRTH 1823 ? Teheran, Persia. DEATH 21 JAN 1892 ? Hackney, South Australia, Australia
PUBLIC NOTICE: Before using, ANY details from this website seek further research in the absence of documentation to limit the effect of misdirection by any compounded human error-please also send courtesy email to advise error or additions to administration in the CONTACT US ENVELOPE-HOMEPAGE.
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , page 14.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 8 Feb 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Passengers arriving 1839-04-30 in SA aboard the Fairfield
(434 t ship 1833) from Liverpool, Captain Rbt Abbott
Alphabetically listed single line entry:DAWSON Mrs James snr nee Jane HAMILTON joining husb, ch Jas, Archibald, Cath, Eliza Willock, Jane, Anne
- [S-250] Warren McLean - ID 1506 - 'Narratives' - on Don Gordon's computer, Page 11.
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , P37 Researcher Lorna McLean.
As advised by Trevor McLean over phone regarding burial of Catherine that is referred to in Allens biography P37
- [S-8] PUBLICATION Dawson book in Goolwa Library, Yvonne Heath of Morphettville, (Heath of Morphettville), C0461991941 - Goolwa.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 1.
MCLEAN Allan, Catharine DAWSON, married 29 feb 1844 at Wheatsheaf Inn Mt Barker as this information does not match the uncited/sourced information. As it is so different I have left it for further researchers to confirm or delete. Sourced 5 Feb 2016 Researcher Lorna McLean
- [S-137] FS Mark Brabant, my heritage (with a log in), 17 Apr 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Jane ( Jean ) Dawson nee Hamilton 1802 - 1885 Birth:Mar 8 1802 Hamilton,Lanarkshire,Scotland,UK Nationality:Australia Title:Mrs Religion:Protestant: Marriage to: James Dawson on Feb 16 1816 Falkirk Scotland Immigration:Apr 30 1839 Port Adelaide, South Australia Death: Aug 9 1885 Springfield, Strathalbyn, SA Burial:Strathalbyn General Cemetery SA
Family members Parents:William Hamilton 1777 - 1850 Janet / Jannet Hamilton (born Pollock) 1777 - 1857 Husband: James Dawson 1781 - 1865
- [S-87] BDM Scotlands People requires own login , https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=people&event=M&record_type%5B0%5D=opr_marriages&church_type=Old%20Parish%20Registers&dl_cat=church&dl_rec=church-banns-marriages&surname=dawson&surname_so=exact&forename=james&forename_so=starts&spouse_name=hamilton&spouse_name_so=exact&from_year=1800&to_year=1850&record=Church%20of%20Scotland%20%28old%20parish%20registers%29%20Roman%20Catholic%20Church%20Other%20churches, 21 Apr 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
DAWSON JAMES m.JEAN HAMILTON FR2560 (FR2560) on 16/02/1816 479/ 90 195 at Falkirk Scotland.saved on desktop as a snip page.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 16 Jan 2017 Research: Lorna McLean.
Married Allan McLean and Catherine Dawson at "Wheatsheaf Inn, Mt Barker SA aged 33, 19yoa on 29 Feb 1844". Ref: 7/34