...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1825 - 1892 (67 years)
||Catherine DAWSON  |
||Tehran Persia [1, 2]
- Nancy Gemmell ('Old Strathalbyn', p14) states Catherine was born in Glasgow in 1823. However, Persia has been confirmed by John Mathews.
||30 Apr 1839
||Adelaide SA [3, 4]
|In 1839 in the 'Fairfield', Catherine migrated from Scotland with her mother and siblings (her father had come out earlier). Catherine had applied for a free passage as a domestic, so like many other girls she probably sailed as a help to a family of friends. |
||* Teheran and Constantinople, Persia|
||21 Jan 1892
||Hackney SA [6, 7]
- Catherine died in Eliza's house in Hackney, Adelaide.
- Death Notice. Chronical 23rd January 1892.
McLean. On the 21st January, at her daughter's residence, Vaughan's Mansion, Katherine, beloved wife of the late Allan McLean, Aged 64 years.
- Express & Telegraph, January 23 1892.
The friends of the late Catherine McLean are respectfully informed that her remains will be removed from her daughter's residence ( Mrs. Haldane), Vaughan's Mansion, Hackney, this day at 2.00pm. for interement in the West Terrace Cemetery. J.B.Siebert, Undertaker.
||West Terrace Cemetery SA
||Christina and Donald McLean | Allan McLean's descendants
||16 Mar 2021 |
||James (snr) DAWSON, b. 00 May 1785, Falkirk Scotland , d. 22 May 1865, Strathalbyn SA (Age ~ 80 years) |
||Jane (Jean) HAMILTON, b. 24 Feb 1802, Hamilton Lanarkshire Scotland , d. 9 Aug 1885, Springfield SA (Age 83 years) |
||16 Feb 1818
||Falkirk Scotland [7, 8, 9, 10]
- Irregular marriage:
A marriage by declaration was perfectly legal in terms of Scots Law until 1939 [but] it wasn't at all "legal" in terms of the canonical "laws" of the Established Church of Scotland. ..... A proportion of those who underwent a marriage by declaration did so in the presence of a minister of a secession church, or a minister who had at that time no "charge", ie wasn't the minister of any church. .... It could have equally been the case that the minister involved here, unnamed, was a secession church minister, but the couple still wanted the marriage recorded in the Old Parochial Register ... of the Established Church of Scotland.
(Source: DavidWW, 28th Feb 2007 in http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8203)
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Allan b.1811 Snr MCLEAN, b. 12 Feb 1811, Blaich Scotland , d. 2 Sep 1890, Plympton SA (Age 79 years) |
||29 Feb 1844
||Mt Barker SA [7, 11]
| ||1. William Donald MCLEAN, b. 25 Nov 1845, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Sep 1911, Eastwood SA (Age 65 years) |
| ||2. Jane Hamilton MCLEAN, b. 17 Jul 1847, Strathalbyn SA , d. 26 Jun 1916, Tarcowie SA (Age 68 years) |
| ||3. Christina McPhee b1849 (Tina) MCLEAN, b. 11 Jul 1849, Strathalbyn SA , bur. 23 Jun 1936, Karrakatta WA (Age ~ 86 years) |
| ||4. Eliza Ann b1851 MCLEAN, b. 25 Mar 1851, Strathalbyn SA , d. 28 Nov 1911, Strathalbyn SA (Age 60 years) |
| ||5. James Dawson MCLEAN, b. 25 Jun 1855, Strathalbyn SA , d. 4 Jul 1931, Brighton SA (Age 76 years) |
| ||6. Mary Dawson MCLEAN, b. 23 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Aug 1940, Orroroo SA (Age 84 years) |
| ||7. Allan b.1857 MCLEAN, b. 11 Nov 1857, Strathalbyn SA , d. 20 Mar 1930, Adelaide SA (Age 72 years) |
| ||8. Katherine Graham 'Kitty' MCLEAN, b. 9 Apr 1860, Meadowbank SA , d. 15 May 1915, Kybybolite SA (Age 55 years) |
| ||9. Rachel MCLEAN, b. 21 Mar 1863, Strathalbyn SA , d. 6 Aug 1949, Port Pirie SA (Age 86 years) |
| ||10. John Stuart Duncan MCLEAN, b. 12 Jul 1865, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Nov 1926 (Age 61 years) |
| ||11. Margaret MCLEAN, b. 16 Feb 1869, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Mar 1906, Claremont WA (Age 37 years) |
||24 Nov 2017 15:03:56 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
Catherine McLean, nee Dawson
1892 Death identifies Heart Synapse as cause of death in Hackney SA
HS Allan d.1890 and Catherine D.1892 McLean West Terrace Cemetery Adelaide SA
||5003 - Allan McLean & Catherine Dawson|
Allan's descendants - biography as published in the BRB in 1995
||J20 - Allan McLean & Catherine, nee Dawson|
* Allan was born in 1811 in Blaich (Scotland), lived nearby in Duisky, and migrated to South Australia when he was 26 years old.
* Catherine was born about 1827 in Persia, grew up in Falkirk (Scotland), and migrated when she was 15 years old.
* They married in 1844 and raised a large family on their property, Meadow Bank, in Strathalbyn.
* Allan acquired many farming properties and farmed in the area for almost four decades. But he sold everything when he was 67 years old and took up farming in Collinsfield.
* Collinsfield was not successful for Allan and he quickly became bankrupt.
* In their final decade, Allan and Catherine were dependent on their children. Allan died in Adelaide at the age of 79 years, and Catherine died the next year.
(Updated by Don Gordon in October 2021.)
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-52] http://ancestry.com.au, ancestry.co.au with log in , 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Catherine Dawson 1823?1892 BIRTH 1823 ? Teheran, Persia. DEATH 21 JAN 1892 ? Hackney, South Australia, Australia
PUBLIC NOTICE: Before using, ANY details from this website seek further research in the absence of documentation to limit the effect of misdirection by any compounded human error-please also send courtesy email to advise error or additions to administration in the CONTACT US ENVELOPE-HOMEPAGE.
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , page 14.
- [S-59] Family History Group SA-COLONISTS, Barry Leadbetter, 8 Feb 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Passengers arriving 1839-04-30 in SA aboard the Fairfield
(434 t ship 1833) from Liverpool, Captain Rbt Abbott
Alphabetically listed single line entry:DAWSON Mrs James snr nee Jane HAMILTON joining husb, ch Jas, Archibald, Cath, Eliza Willock, Jane, Anne
- [S-250] Warren McLean - ID 1506 - 'Narratives - Douglas Hamilton McLean' in the Library directory on Don Gordon's computer, Page 11.
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , P37 Researcher Lorna McLean.
As advised by Trevor McLean over phone regarding burial of Catherine that is referred to in Allens biography P37
- [S-8] PUBLICATION Dawson book in Goolwa Library, Yvonne Heath of Morphettville, (Heath of Morphettville), C0461991941 - Goolwa.
- [S-59] Family History Group SA-COLONISTS, Barry Leadbetter, 1.
MCLEAN Allan, Catharine DAWSON, married 29 feb 1844 at Wheatsheaf Inn Mt Barker as this information does not match the uncited/sourced information. As it is so different I have left it for further researchers to confirm or delete. Sourced 5 Feb 2016 Researcher Lorna McLean
- [S-137] FS Mark Brabant-no evidence provided-pending evidence, my heritage (with a log in), 17 Apr 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Jane ( Jean ) Dawson nee Hamilton 1802 - 1885 Birth:Mar 8 1802 Hamilton,Lanarkshire,Scotland,UK Nationality:Australia Title:Mrs Religion:Protestant: Marriage to: James Dawson on Feb 16 1816 Falkirk Scotland Immigration:Apr 30 1839 Port Adelaide, South Australia Death: Aug 9 1885 Springfield, Strathalbyn, SA Burial:Strathalbyn General Cemetery SA
Family members Parents:William Hamilton 1777 - 1850 Janet / Jannet Hamilton (born Pollock) 1777 - 1857 Husband: James Dawson 1781 - 1865
- [S-87] BDM Scotlands People requires own login , https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=people&event=M&record_type%5B0%5D=opr_marriages&church_type=Old%20Parish%20Registers&dl_cat=church&dl_rec=church-banns-marriages&surname=dawson&surname_so=exact&forename=james&forename_so=starts&spouse_name=hamilton&spouse_name_so=exact&from_year=1800&to_year=1850&record=Church%20of%20Scotland%20%28old%20parish%20registers%29%20Roman%20Catholic%20Church%20Other%20churches, 21 Apr 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
DAWSON JAMES m.JEAN HAMILTON FR2560 (FR2560) on 16/02/1816 479/ 90 195 at Falkirk Scotland.saved on desktop as a snip page.
- [S-59] Family History Group SA-COLONISTS, Barry Leadbetter, 16 Jan 2017 Research: Lorna McLean.
Married Allan McLean and Catherine Dawson at "Wheatsheaf Inn, Mt Barker SA aged 33, 19yoa on 29 Feb 1844". Ref: 7/34