...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1825 - 1892 (67 years)
||Catherine DAWSON  |
||Tehran Persia 
- Nancy Gemmell ('Old Strathalbyn', p14) states Catherine was born in Glasgow in 1823. However, Persia has been confirmed by John Mathews.
||30 Apr 1839
||Adelaide SA [2, 3]
|In 1839 in the 'Fairfield', Catherine migrated from Scotland with her mother and siblings (her father had come out earlier). Catherine had applied for a free passage as a domestic, so like many other girls she probably sailed as a help to a family of friends. |
||* Teheran and Constantinople, Persia|
||21 Jan 1892
||Hackney SA [4, 5]
- Catherine died in Eliza's house in Hackney, Adelaide.
||West Terrace Cemetery SA
||Christina and Donald McLean | Allan McLean's descendants
||5 Apr 2019 |
||James (snr) DAWSON, b. 1785, Falkirk Scotland , d. 22 May 1865, Strathalbyn SA (Age 80 years) |
||Jane (Jean) HAMILTON, b. 24 Feb 1802, Hamilton Lanarkshire , d. 9 Aug 1885, Springfield SA (Age 83 years) |
|Sealed P (LDS)
||16 Feb 1816
||Falkirk Scotland [5, 6, 7, 8]
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Allan MCLEAN, b. 12 Feb 1811, Blaich Scotland , d. 2 Sep 1890, Plympton SA (Age 79 years) |
||29 Feb 1844
||Mt Barker SA [5, 9]
| ||1. William Donald MCLEAN, b. 25 Nov 1845, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Sep 1911, Eastwood SA (Age 65 years) |
| ||2. Jane Hamilton MCLEAN, b. 17 Jul 1847, Strathalbyn SA , d. 26 Jun 1916, Tarcowie SA (Age 68 years) |
| ||3. Christina McPhee (Tina) b 1849 MCLEAN, b. 11 Jul 1849, Strathalbyn SA , bur. 23 Jun 1936, Karrakatta WA (Age ~ 86 years) |
| ||4. Eliza Ann b1851 MCLEAN, b. 25 Mar 1851, Strathalbyn SA , d. 28 Nov 1911, Strathalbyn SA (Age 60 years) |
| ||5. James Dawson MCLEAN, b. 25 Jun 1853, Strathalbyn SA , d. 4 Jul 1931, Brighton SA (Age 78 years) |
| ||6. Mary Dawson MCLEAN, b. 23 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Aug 1940, Orroroo SA (Age 84 years) |
| ||7. Allan b.1857 MCLEAN, b. 11 Nov 1857, Meadowbank SA , d. 20 Mar 1930, Adelaide SA (Age 72 years) |
| ||8. Katherine Graham 'Kitty' MCLEAN, b. 9 Apr 1860, Meadowbank SA , d. 15 May 1915, Kybybolite SA (Age 55 years) |
| ||9. Rachel MCLEAN, b. 21 Mar 1863, Strathalbyn SA , d. 6 Aug 1949, Port Pirie SA (Age 86 years)|
| ||10. John Stuart Duncan MCLEAN, b. 12 Jul 1865, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Nov 1926 (Age 61 years) |
| ||11. Margaret MCLEAN, b. 16 Feb 1869, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Mar 1906, Claremont WA (Age 37 years) |
||24 Nov 2017 15:03:56 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
BDM 1892 Death Catherine McLean, nee Dawson - died 21st May 1892 in Hacking
||WW - Edwin McLean's letter in 1946|
This letter is the only source of some details.
It mentions McLeans (Allan born 1811, John 1816, Anne 1820, Hugh the younger 1836, Allan 1857, Rachel 1863, John Jack 1865, Edwin 1871, Alfred 1871 & Elizabeth Annie 1874) and Catherine Dawson 1824, James Keough 1856 & Matthew Johnston 1864.
With notes by Don Gordon in May 2019.
HS Allan d.1890 and Catherine D.1892 McLean West Terrace Cemetery Adelaide SA
|Stories - new
||Allan McLean & Catherine, nee Dawson |
This biography, by Don Gordon, was uploaded on this website in Dec 2019.
* Allan was born in 1811 in Blaich (Scotland), lived nearby in Duisky, and migrated to South Australia when he was 26 years old.
* Catherine was born about 1827 in Persia, grew up in Falkirk (Scotland), and migrated when she was 15 years old.
* They married in 1844 and raised a large family on their property, Meadow Bank, in Strathalbyn.
* Allan acquired many farming properties and farmed in the area for almost four decades. But he sold everything when he was 67 years old and took up farming in Collinsfield.
* Collinsfield was not successful for Allan and he quickly became bankrupt and thus was comparatively poor in his last decade of his life.
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , page 14.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 8 Feb 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Passengers arriving 1839-04-30 in SA aboard the Fairfield
(434 t ship 1833) from Liverpool, Captain Rbt Abbott
Alphabetically listed single line entry:DAWSON Mrs James snr nee Jane HAMILTON joining husb, ch Jas, Archibald, Cath, Eliza Willock, Jane, Anne
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , P37 Researcher Lorna McLean.
As advised by Trevor McLean over phone regarding burial of Catherine that is referred to in Allens biography P37
- [S-8] PUBLICATION Dawson book in Goolwa Library, Yvonne Heath of Morphettville, (Heath of Morphettville), C0461991941 - Goolwa.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 1.
MCLEAN Allan, Catharine DAWSON, married 29 feb 1844 at Wheatsheaf Inn Mt Barker as this information does not match the uncited/sourced information. As it is so different I have left it for further researchers to confirm or delete. Sourced 5 Feb 2016 Researcher Lorna McLean
- [S-137] My Heritage Mark Brabant, my heritage (with a log in), 17 Apr 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Jane ( Jean ) Dawson nee Hamilton 1802 - 1885 Birth:Mar 8 1802 Hamilton,Lanarkshire,Scotland,UK Nationality:Australia Title:Mrs Religion:Protestant: Marriage to: James Dawson on Feb 16 1816 Falkirk Scotland Immigration:Apr 30 1839 Port Adelaide, South Australia Death: Aug 9 1885 Springfield, Strathalbyn, SA Burial:Strathalbyn General Cemetery SA
Family members Parents:William Hamilton 1777 - 1850 Janet / Jannet Hamilton (born Pollock) 1777 - 1857 Husband: James Dawson 1781 - 1865
- [S-87] https//:www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ require own log in, https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/record-results?search_type=people&event=M&record_type%5B0%5D=opr_marriages&church_type=Old%20Parish%20Registers&dl_cat=church&dl_rec=church-banns-marriages&surname=dawson&surname_so=exact&forename=james&forename_so=starts&spouse_name=hamilton&spouse_name_so=exact&from_year=1800&to_year=1850&record=Church%20of%20Scotland%20%28old%20parish%20registers%29%20Roman%20Catholic%20Church%20Other%20churches, 21 Apr 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
DAWSON JAMES m.JEAN HAMILTON FR2560 (FR2560) on 16/02/1816 479/ 90 195 at Falkirk Scotland.saved on desktop as a snip page.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 16 Jan 2017 Research: Lorna McLean.
Married Allan McLean and Catherine Dawson at "Wheatsheaf Inn, Mt Barker SA aged 33, 19yoa on 29 Feb 1844". Ref: 7/34