...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1821 - 1899 (77 years)
||Archibald b1821 MCLEAN  |
||4 Mar 1821
||Duisky Scotland [2, 3]
- Edwin MacLean has the birth date as 4th March 1821 in Fort William whereas a birth year of 1822 is indicated by the record of Archibald's marriage in www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists which has him aged 24 years at the time of his marriage on 1846-09-11.
||Y  |
|One of the first counsellors of the Strathalbyn District: source https://oldcolonists.weebly.com/1837-navarino.html |
||"I believe Mr D'Arcy Irvine's house (where Mrs J Sanders now resides, but putup for Mr Archie McLean), was one of the first brick residences built in the town [Strathalbyn]" (From JWE's Jottings in Southern Argus on 10th July 1913, p3).  |
||Father's Will - see Donald McLean's profile for details in Donald's Will in which Archibald was a beneficiary. |
||For inheritance of part of 57 Hindley St - see E51 in Small Print. |
||Land Sale at Strathalbyn - Mr Close held a sale of land at the Terminus Hotel, Strathalbyn, on Monday, by instruction of the executors of the late Mrs. McLean, when a fine section lying between the tramway terminus and the cemetery was bought by Mr. R. Hooper, whose land it adjoined, at £8/2/6 per acre. A paddock adjoining the Murray Road was bought by Mr Archibald McLean at a little over £6 per acre, and a two-acre block near the brewery, foundry and gasworks was purchased by Mr Allan McLean for £145.|
(South Australian Register, 30th April 1869, p2)
|P 76 "Belvidere" publicaton by Lance C Wakefield."communications were tough in early settlement days. Some local ladies of Belvidere would travel by foot with Archibald Mcleans bullock dray carring their belongings atop on the three day walk to Adelaide to visit family." |
|Cause of death
||Prostate condition and/or cerebral thrombosis  |
|Archibald of "Melrose" property left with his children for Naracoorte in 1874 where he did well, married again and live out his days there. |
||31 Jan 1899
||Naracoorte SA [1, 5]
||Christina and Donald McLean | Archibald McLean's descendants
||1 Jun 2020 |
||Donald b1779 MCLEAN, b. 26 Sep 1779, Blaich Scotland , d. 11 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA (Age 76 years) |
||Christina b1787 MCPHEE, b. 28 Apr 1787, Crieff Scotland , d. 9 Apr 1869, Strathalbyn SA (Age 81 years) |
|Children of marriage
||* OPRs: We have found birth records (OPRs) for all the 12 children, except for Margaret.|
* Naming: There were Ann X 2, Mary X 2 & Hugh (Ewen) X 2. The first Mary & first Ann died as infants whereas the Hughs survived to adulthood and are diffentiated by being referred to as 'the elder' or 'the younger'.
* Mother: The mother is variously recorded as Christian X 5, Christn, Christy, Catharine X 2, Mary, and Effie (or Essie). The records with Catherine, Mary & Effie are probably original clerical errors and we are confident that they are 'our' family because the birth place is specified as Duisky in each of these cases - and the father was Donald of course.
* Place: All the births were in the parish of Kilmallie. The first 4 births are specified as Blaich and all the later births were at Duisky.
1. Allan McLean - baptism 12th Feb 1811 in Blaich - Son to Donald McLean in Blaich & Christian McPhee in Blaich
2. Mary McLean - baptised 24th Jan 1813 in Blaich - Baptism on 24th Jan 1813 - McLean, Mary daughter of Donald & Christn McPhee - Blaich
3. Ewen McLean - baptized 27th January 1814 - Son of Don'd & Christian McPhee, Blaich
4. John McLean - born 1st Feb 1816, baptized 2nd Feb 1816 - Son of Donald, Blaich & Christian McPhie his spouse
5. Mary McLean - baptized on 5th Apr 1818 in Duisky - Baptism of daughter to Donald MacLean Duisgy and Catharine MacPhee
6. Anne McLean - baptized 18th Feb 1820 - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky and Catharine MacPhee
7. Archibald McLean - baptised 4th March 1821 - Son to Donald MacLean in Duisgi and Effie (or Essie?) MacPhee
8. Ann MacLean - born 6th April 1823 in Duisky - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky & Mary McPhee his wife
9. Rachel McLean - born 13th Feb 1825 in Duisky - 1825 Baptisms - Feb 13 - Rachel dau to Donald McLean in Duisky & Christian McPhee, born 6th
11. Jane (Jeane) McLean - born 18th April 1830, baptized 16th May 1830 in Kilmallie - 1830 Baptisms May 16th, Jeane daughter to Donald McLean tenant in Duskey Ardgour & Christion McPhee, born the 18th April last
12. Ewen McLean - born 26th May 1836 in Duisky - Ewen son of Donald McLean & Christy McPhee in Duisky
* (This note was by Don Gordon on 12th April 2019.)
|Children of marriage
||In addition to the 12 children accepted as 'our' family, some researchers have proposed 4 others:-|
* RICHARD: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Which ones?], but this might not be based on the authentic record. There are no other indications of this Richard in colonial records (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc). However there is a Richard listed with the family in the 1841 census for Strathalbyn (BRB p13) but this is considered to be a clerical error (check this) as it should have been Rachel. He is not mentioned in Donald's will.
* ELIZABETH: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [Barry Leadbeater & Dianne Cummings) but this might not be based on the authentic record. It is stated that she was born in 1835 or 1836, and died in 1907. There are no other indications of this Elizabeth in colonial records. (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc). In fact there might be confusion with Elizabeth DIXON who was the second wife John McLean - she was born in England in 1835, migrated in 1858, married John in 1874, and died in Strathalbyn in 1907. She is not mentioned in Donald's will.
* HUGH: BRB p8 "The persistent inclusion of a Donald and a Hugh McLean who arrived in 1840 by ship 'Tomatin' must be an error as the listed children the same 10, who with their emigrating parents and in the father's Will. These two may have been nephews. If they were of an earlier marriage of Donald, he had three sons named Hugh which is carrying things a bit far as to names! There is a family story that 'two sons were sent to Venezuela to look for farming possibilities' referring of course to the Donald and Hugh on the 'Tomatin' of 1840. Then not discovering anything suitable followed on to SA. Nothing further is known of them although two of the same name were at Naracoorte in the South East quite early, and the names of the families were the same as those of the Donald McLeans. They were not mentioned in Donald McLean's Will."
* DONALD: See the quote for Hugh, above (BRB p8).
This note was by Don Gordon on 30th July 2018.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Ann Soward JANEWAY, b. 1828, Hampshire UK , d. 19 Mar 1861, Mt Gambier SA (Age 33 years) |
||11 Sep 1846
||Strathalbyn SA [3, 6]
| ||1. Harriet Cooper MCLEAN, b. 1847, Strathalbyn SA , d. 21 Jan 1942, Victor Harbour SA (Age 95 years) |
|+||2. Christina McPhie MCLEAN, b. 11 Jul 1849, Strathalbyn SA , d. 20 Jul 1920, Largs Bay SA (Age 71 years)|
| ||3. Rose Ann (or Anderson) MCLEAN, b. 1850, Strathalbyn SA , d. 11 Sep 1945, Largs Bay SA (Age 95 years) |
| ||4. George (Henry) MCLEAN, b. 15 Aug 1853, Adelaide SA , d. 28 Nov 1918, Minyip Vic (Age 65 years) |
| ||5. Archibald Sinclair b. 1854 MCLEAN, b. 1854, Strathalbyn SA , d. 1855, Strathalbyn SA (Age 1 years) |
| ||6. Archibald Sinclair b. 1856 MCLEAN, b. 18 Dec 1856, Angas Plains SA , d. 15 Feb 1938, Minyip Vic (Age 81 years) |
| ||7. Charles Soward MCLEAN, Justice of Peace, b. 2 Mar 1859, Strathalbyn SA , d. 4 Apr 1951, Mt Gambier SA (Age 92 years) |
||26 Jan 2017 09:14:24 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 4.
MCLEAN Archibald, Ann Soward JANEWAY married 1846-09-11 at Church, Strathalbyn, aged 24, 18 all have information aligning.
and confirmed by the said website of Barry Leadbetter found by researcher Lorna McLean 05/12/2016
- [S-2] FM Adele Whitmore - evidence pending, Person 14-vi.
- [S-63] NEWSPAPER TROVE Southern Argus SA, JWE?s Jottings in Southern Argus on 10th July 1913, p3.
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au requires login, https://www.genealogysa.org.au requires log in , 11 Aug 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Archibald MCLEAN Death Date: 31 Jan 1899
Gender: M Age: 75y Approx. Birth Year: 1824
Marital Status: N Residence: The Gap nr Naracoorte
Death Place: Naracoorte SA Ref/Page: 258/362
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au requires login, 26 Jan 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
MARRIAGE:1846 Reg No: 12/201 groom: MACLEAN Archibald, bride: JANEWAY,Ann at Adelaide SA
Public notice: some entries have little or no evidence provided. It is imperative that before assuming generalising the data to ensure followup evidence to maintain validity.