...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1892 - 1925 (32 years)
||Albert John Sinclair STURGEON  |
||29 Sep 1892
||Lawloit Vic [1, 2]
||Albert was the youngest of the six Sturgeon children. He never married. According to Warner relatives he lived in Western Australia. |
|Occupation pre war was Farmer Labourer on military record |
||21 Aug 1921
|Enlisted in the First A.l.F. as a Private in 10th Light Horse in Egypt and later returned safely to Australia. |
||8 Jan 1925
||Wyalkatchem WA [1, 4]
|Military records stated his will to give everything to his sister Miss florence Sturgeon. |
||Christina and Donald McLean | John McLean's descendants
||25 Apr 2019 |
||George Harvey STURGEON, b. 10 May 1846, Suffolk UK , d. 26 Feb 1928, Adelaide SA (Age 81 years) |
||Christina MCLEAN, b. 28 Jul 1848, Milang SA , d. 30 Oct 1930, Nhill Vic (Age 82 years) |
||17 Jul 1872
||Angas Plains SA [5, 6]
- WEDDING: Adelaide Observer, 20th July 1872, p2
Sturgeon-McLean - On the 17th July at Angas Plains (in the residence of bride's father) by the Rev F Slaney Poole B - George Harvey Sturgeon of Strathalbyn, son of the late Charles Sturgeon - to Christina McLean of Angas Plains, daughter of John McLean.
|Children of marriage
||Page 283 of the BRB has "Charles Buscombe Sturgeon - born 25/2/1881 at Gladstone, S.A. Named for his grandfather Sturgeon (Charles) and the maiden name of his grandmother Elizabeth Sturgeon (nee Buscombe) both of whom are buried at Strathalbyn. The Warner family has no knowledge of Charles whatsoever. There is no death recorded in SA so he must have been about 2 when the family left Gladstone and died in Victoria." He died in 1956 in Norwood (reg 837/438) and buried in North Brighton.|
However, CHARLES WAS NOT IN THIS FAMILY - ie his parents were not George Harvey Sturgeon and Christina McLean. In fact, his parents were Davis Sturgeon and Elizabeth Buscumb. He was born on 25th Feb 1881, but in New Glenelg (not Gladstone). This was registration 256/1 as per SA Genealogical Society.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-91] https://awm.gov.au Australian War Memorial, https://www.awm.gov.au/collection, 24 Apr 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Enrollment to Military records states his full birth date and year and location. Altered from incorrect year (only) Nhill Vic from BRB
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , not listed.
- [S-145] CEMETERY Wyalkatchem WA, http://www.ozburials.com/CemsWA/Wyalkatchem/wyalkatchem.htm, 25 Feb 2018 Researcher Lorna McLean.
STURGEON, Albert John. Buried 8 January 1925 aged 34 years
*******rang the shire 27 and 28 Feb 2018. since albert was youngest and single limits chance of being a headstone. However 28 conversation with wyalchatchem shire :there is a committee and shire still looking.
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au requires login, https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=32, 29 Jul 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
MARRIED: 1872 92/120 groom:STURGEON,George Harvey bride:MACLEAN,Christina at (Angas Plains) Strathalbyn SA
- [S-57] FS Ian Barnes (WAGS Member) Emaild Nov 2017, https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=32, 29 Jul 2017 Ian Barnes WA (family member of this p.
states marriage date:17 Jul 1872 as per Joseph Phillips (family) birthday book.