...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1811 - 1890 (79 years)
||Allan MCLEAN  |
||12 Feb 1811
||Blaich Scotland [2, 3, 4]
||12 Feb 1811
||Blaich Scotland [1, 5]
||Land Sale at Strathalbyn - Mr Close held a sale of land at the Terminus Hotel, Strathalbyn, on Monday, by instruction of the executors of the late Mrs. McLean, when a fine section lying between the tramway terminus and the cemetery was bought by Mr. R. Hooper, whose land it adjoined, at £8/2/6 per acre. A paddock adjoining the Murray Road was bought by Mr Archibald McLean at a little over £6 per acre, and a two-acre block near the brewery, foundry and gasworks was purchased by Mr Allan McLean for £145.|
(South Australian Register, 30th April 1869, p2)
|* In the first Strathalbyn agricultural show in 1856, the McLeans were well represented in the wheat competition with three brothers (Allan, Archibald and Hugh snr) amongst nine from the plains and hills areas. However they did not win any prizes for their wheat and on the day the only McLean to win a prize was Mrs McLean (who was this??) for her salt butter. It is not known whether they had entered in the other sections which included barley, oats, potatoes, onions, vegetables, table grapes, apples, lemons, melons, cheese, lucerne, hams, fresh butter, pears, quinces, flowers, plough iron and harrows. (From Matthew Rankine's diary, in Gemmell, p 15). It must have been a wonderful event in this small community. |
|Alan and Archibald were among 12 'proprietors of land in the township of Strathalbyn' who attended a meeting on 10th January 1861 to form a trust for the township reserve. Although they were not present at that particular meeting, Donald Gollan, James Dawson and Rankine were given responsibilities to pursue the matter. (South Australian Advertiser - 21st Jan 1861). Alan and Archibald did not appear to take a leading part in the meeting. |
|Cause of death
||4 weeks of bronchitis |
||2 Sep 1890
||Plympton SA [6, 7, 8]
- McLean, Allan - b 1814 - died 6th Sept 1890 at Plympton, SA, late of Strathalbyn, aged 79 years, colonialist for 54 years. The friends of the late Mr Allan McLean are respectfully informed that his remains will be removed from his late residence Marion Road, this day at 3 pm for the West Terrance Cemetery - 3 path 36A 5 - JB Siebert, Undertaker (Express Telegraph 8th Sept 1890, p2 & Evening Journal, 8th Sept 1890, p2)
||6 Sep 1890
||West Terrace Cemetery SA
||Christina and Donald McLean | Allan McLean's descendants
||24 Mar 2019 |
||Donald b1779 MCLEAN, b. 26 Sep 1779, Blaich Scotland , d. 11 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA (Age 76 years) |
||Christina b1787 MCPHEE, b. 28 Apr 1787, Crieff Scotland , d. 9 Apr 1869, Strathalbyn SA (Age 81 years) |
|Children of marriage
||* OPRs: We have found birth records (OPRs) for all the 12 children, except for Margaret.|
* Naming: There were Ann X 2, Mary X 2 & Hugh (Ewen) X 2. The first Mary & first Ann died as infants whereas the Hughs survived to adulthood and are diffentiated by being referred to as 'the elder' or 'the younger'.
* Mother: The mother is variously recorded as Christian X 5, Christn, Christy, Catharine X 2, Mary, and Effie (or Essie). The records with Catherine, Mary & Effie are probably original clerical errors and we are confident that they are 'our' family because the birth place is specified as Duisky in each of these cases - and the father was Donald of course.
* Place: All the births were in the parish of Kilmallie. The first 4 births are specified as Blaich and all the later births were at Duisky.
1. Allan McLean - baptism 12th Feb 1811 in Blaich - Son to Donald McLean in Blaich & Christian McPhee in Blaich
2. Mary McLean - baptised 24th Jan 1813 in Blaich - Baptism on 24th Jan 1813 - McLean, Mary daughter of Donald & Christn McPhee - Blaich
3. Ewen McLean - baptized 27th January 1814 - Son of Don'd & Christian McPhee, Blaich
4. John McLean - born 1st Feb 1816, baptized 2nd Feb 1816 - Son of Donald, Blaich & Christian McPhie his spouse
5. Mary McLean - baptized on 5th Apr 1818 in Duisky - Baptism of daughter to Donald MacLean Duisgy and Catharine MacPhee
6. Anne McLean - baptized 18th Feb 1820 - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky and Catharine MacPhee
7. Archibald McLean - baptised 4th March 1821 - Son to Donald MacLean in Duisgi and Effie (or Essie?) MacPhee
8. Ann MacLean - born 6th April 1823 in Duisky - Daughter to Donald MacLean Duisky & Mary McPhee his wife
9. Rachel McLean - born 13th Feb 1825 in Duisky - 1825 Baptisms - Feb 13 - Rachel dau to Donald McLean in Duisky & Christian McPhee, born 6th
11. Jane (Jeane) McLean - born 18th April 1830, baptized 16th May 1830 in Kilmallie - 1830 Baptisms May 16th, Jeane daughter to Donald McLean tenant in Duskey Ardgour & Christion McPhee, born the 18th April last
12. Ewen McLean - born 26th May 1836 in Duisky - Ewen son of Donald McLean & Christy McPhee in Duisky
* (This note was by Don Gordon on 12th April 2019.)
|Children of marriage
||In addition to the 12 children accepted as 'our' family, some researchers have proposed 4 others:-|
* RICHARD: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Which ones?], but this might not be based on the authentic record. There are no other indications of this Richard in colonial records (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* ELIZABETH: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Leadbeater & Cummings) but this might not be based on the authentic record. It is stated that she was born in 1835 or 1836, and died in 1907. There are no other indications of this Elizabeth in colonial records. (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* HUGH: BRB p8 "The persistent inclusion of a Donald and a Hugh McLean who arrived in 1840 by ship 'Tomatin' must be an error as the listed children the same 10, who with their emigrating parents and in the father's Will. These two may have been nephews. If they were of an earlier marriage of Donald, he had three sons named Hugh which is carrying things a bit far as to names! There is a family story that 'two sons were sent to Venezuela to look for farming possibilities' referring of course to the Donald and Hugh on the 'Tomatin' of 1840. Then not discovering anything suitable followed on to SA. Nothing further is known of them although two of the same name were at Naracoorte in the South East quite early, and the names of the families were the same as those of the Donald McLeans. They were not mentioned in Donald McLean's Will."
* DONALD: See the quote for Hugh, above (BRB p8).
This note was by Don Gordon on 30th July 2018.
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Catherine DAWSON, b. 1825, Tehran Persia , d. 21 Jan 1892, Hackney SA (Age 67 years) |
||29 Feb 1844
||Mt Barker SA [7, 9]
| ||1. William Donald MCLEAN, b. 25 Nov 1845, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Sep 1911, Eastwood SA (Age 65 years) |
| ||2. Jane Hamilton MCLEAN, b. 17 Jul 1847, Strathalbyn SA , d. 26 Jun 1916, Tarcowie SA (Age 68 years) |
| ||3. Christina McPhee (Tina) b 1849 MCLEAN, b. 11 Jul 1849, Strathalbyn SA , bur. 23 Jun 1936, Karrakatta WA (Age ~ 86 years) |
| ||4. Eliza Ann b1851 MCLEAN, b. 25 Mar 1851, Strathalbyn SA , d. 28 Nov 1911, Strathalbyn SA (Age 60 years) |
| ||5. James Dawson MCLEAN, b. 25 Jun 1853, Strathalbyn SA , d. 4 Jul 1931, Brighton SA (Age 78 years) |
| ||6. Mary Dawson MCLEAN, b. 23 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Aug 1940, Orroroo SA (Age 84 years) |
| ||7. Allan b.1857 MCLEAN, b. 11 Nov 1857, Meadowbank SA , d. 20 Mar 1930, Adelaide SA (Age 72 years) |
| ||8. Katherine Graham 'Kitty' MCLEAN, b. 9 Apr 1860, Meadowbank SA , d. 15 May 1915, Kybybolite SA (Age 55 years) |
| ||9. Rachel MCLEAN, b. 21 Mar 1863, Strathalbyn SA , d. 6 Aug 1949, Port Pirie SA (Age 86 years)|
| ||10. John Stuart Duncan MCLEAN, b. 12 Jul 1865, Strathalbyn SA , d. 7 Nov 1926 (Age 61 years) |
| ||11. Margaret MCLEAN, b. 16 Feb 1869, Strathalbyn SA , d. 19 Mar 1906, Claremont WA (Age 37 years) |
||24 Nov 2017 15:03:56 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Allan McLean eldest son of Donald Christina |
Allan on 6 Jan 1838 travelled Navarino to Hobart Tasmania, to purchase seed wheat and returned to Hilton Adelaide SA (departure date unknown). The family had prepared land for a 20 acre commercial crop 1838
Allen McLean Tasmania return to SA 6th-9th Jan1838.
HS Allan d.1890 and Catherine D.1892 McLean West Terrace Cemetery Adelaide SA
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-52] http://ancestry.com.au, 26 Nov 2016.
Allan McLeans birth date is a nearest guess-within days of birth is assumed. This is sourced from a baptism document from Scotlands people website. Stating the year on the header area on top of the page and the parents were Donald and Christina McpPhee and the occasion was a Baptism at Blaich Scotland
Research done by Lorna McLean at WAGS and a scanned document taken of said document from OPR
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 1, 5 Dec 2016 Researcher Lorna McLean.
MCLEAN Allan, Catharine DAWSON, married 29 feb 1844 at Wheatsheaf Inn Mt Barker SA as this information does not match the uncited/sourced information. As it is so different I have left it for further researchers to confirm or edit.
LOCATION NOT PROVIDED-tentatively entry until further notice/evidence.
PUBLIC NOTICE: before using ANY details from this website ensure YOU further research accuracy of our information to limit the effect of misdirection by any compounded human error.
- [S-87] https//:www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ require own log in, 181 of 24page , 25 Nov 2017 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
OPR Baptism Register of Kilmallie. Allan baptised 12 Feb 1811 with parents Donald McLean and Christian McPhee, Born in Blaich.
- [S-87] https//:www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ require own log in, https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/view-image/nrs_opr_records/3721046?image=181 (Reliability: 1), 10 Feb 2017 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
BAPTISM: Allan son of Donald McLean and Christian McPhee in Blaich Scotland 12 Feb 1811. Note record squeezed in betw other births-almost forgotten to be recorded. Accurate reflection of record from Baptism register page 71
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , p37 Researcher Lorna McLean.
- [S-8] PUBLICATION Dawson book in Goolwa Library, Yvonne Heath of Morphettville, (Heath of Morphettville), C0461991941 - Goolwa.
- [S-18] PUBLICATION Edwin Maclean's genealogy(no sources provided), Person 14.
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 16 Jan 2017 Research: Lorna McLean.
Married Allan McLean and Catherine Dawson at "Wheatsheaf Inn, Mt Barker SA aged 33, 19yoa on 29 Feb 1844". Ref: 7/34