...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1846 - 1927 (81 years)
||Mary Ann MCLEAN  |
||15 Oct 1846
||Milang SA [1, 2]
||MARRIED: on 3/11/1869 at the Primitive Methodist Church, Angas Plains, to Richard (Dickie) Jones. His father, John Jones, set him up at Bonney Flat on the Milang-Stralhalbyn Road. The small obituary of Sydney Wakefield who died in 1974 states that his own farm at Belvidere, once belonged to his fathers uncle, who went broke in the 1880's and had married a McLean. The Bonney Flat land is now in the ownership of the Cross family.|
Mary Ann and Richard then went to Kaniva Victoria, where his father, John, was later to join them and die there. Mary Ann and "Dickie" were childless. The obituary of her sister, Mrs Sturgeon, of 1930 mentioned that her deceased elder sister, Mrs Richard Jones, had been of Yanipy, in the Kaniva district of Victoria.
|Cause of death
||Motor car accident  |
- Page 274 of the History of Donald & Christina McDonald states that an orbituary for Christina Sturgeon (nee McLean) in a Melbourne newspaper (undated, but probably early November 1930), indicated that Christina's sister, the late Mrs Richard Jones (nee Mary Ann McLean), and Christina's own husband, George Henry Sturgeon, had died two and a half years previously, following a motor car accident.
||2 Dec 1927
||Kaniva Vic 
||Kaniva Vic 
||Christina and Donald McLean | John McLean's descendants
||5 May 2019 |
||John MCLEAN, b. 6 Feb 1816, Blaich Scotland , d. 14 Dec 1903, Angas Plains SA (Age 87 years) |
||Mary STACEY, b. 00 Jul 1829, Somersetshire UK , d. 15 Nov 1872, Angas Plains SA (Age ~ 43 years) |
||29 May 1845
||Macclesfield SA [3, 4, 5]
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Richard (Dickie) JONES, b. c1840, Hampshire England , d. 22 Oct 1916, Kaniva Vic (Age ~ 76 years) |
||3 Nov 1869
||Angas Plains SA 
||18 Sep 2018 05:28:27 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] FS BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 4.
MCLEAN John, Mary STACEY, parents of child born 1846-10-15 named Mary Ann at / nr Milang SA which is only a mere 10-15 miles apart. So left unchanged.
Confirmed by the said website and NO alterations were made with citations from Website by Barry Leadbetter found by researcher Lorna McLean 05/12/2016
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 4, 8 Dec 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Married date 25 Sep1845 has no citation by Edwin McLean; so altered to this date 29 May 1845
Confirmed by the said website and alterations were made with citations from Website by Barry Leadbetter found by researcher Lorna McLean 05/12/2016
- [S-11] BDM certificate - sighted and attached , Marriage Certificate No282574 in district of Hindmarsh, 8 Dec 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Marriage Certificate282574 cites marriage 25 Sep 1845 at Chapel Maccesfield SA in presence of Harriett Stacey all parties signed with a cross.
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au requires login, https://www.genealogysa.org.au/user-details/product/uid-728760/coid-2/cid-2/request_data-%7B/quot;option-/quot;--/quot;com_search-/quot;,-/quot;Itemid-/quot;32-/quot;surname-/quot;mclean-/quot;check-/quot;1-/quot;gname-/quot;john-/quot;year-/quot;1845-/quot;range-/quot;5-/quot;cusearch-/quot;Search-/quot;a4bd3f58e9df756191d0f96ccbc0b1ee-/quot;6235051a8cb6ac0fb342a1c5012bf974-/quot;__utma-/quot;175478836_926997949_1548135433_1548135433_1548135433_1-/quot;__utmc-/quot;175478836-/quot;__utmz-/quot;175478836_1548135433_1_1_utmcsr-(direct)%7Cutmccn=(direct)%7Cutmcmd=(none)/quot;__utmt-/quot;__utmb-/quot;175478836_2_10_1548135433-/quot;%7D-.html, 30 Jan 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Groom Given Name(s): John Groom Last Name: MCLEAN Bride Given Name(s): Mary Bride Last Name: STACEY Marriage Date: 1845, May 29 Marriage Place: Chapel Macclesfield Groom Age: 27 Groom Approx. Birth Year: 1818 Groom Marital Status: S Groom Father:Bride Age: 18 Bride Approx. Birth Year: 1827 Bride Marital Status: S Bride Father Name:James STACEY District: Adelaide Book/Page: 12/196
- [S-75] http://www.genealogysa.org.au requires login, 17.09.2018 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Groom Given Name(s): Richard
Groom Last Name: JONES
Bride Given Name(s): Mary Ann
Bride Last Name: MACLEAN
Marriage Date: 1869, February 18
Marriage Place: Res of John MacLean Bremer District
Groom Age: FL
Groom Approx. Birth Year:
Groom Marital Status: S
Groom Father: John JONES
Bride Age: FL
Bride Approx. Birth Year:
Bride Marital Status: S
Bride Father Name: John MACLEAN
District: Mount Barker
This BDM of SA official register states marriage as Feb 18 1869. BRB states marriage on 3 Nov 1869. Future searches may confirm. Left but offered this records