...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1912 - 1988 (76 years)
||Sheila Frances (Florence) MCLEAN [1, 2] |
- The BRB has Sheila born in 1912 whereas Louise Johnson could not find a BMD record of her birth or other information about her and Louise believed that Albert's & Mary's first child was Jessie. Maybe her mother was Mary but father was not Albert Brabant but was raised in the Brabant family.
This needs to be checked out because the BRB indicates that Albert & Mary were married in 1911, whereas Louise has found a record of them being married in 1916 which is 4 years after Sheila was born.
Note by Don Gordon on 12th Jan 2018.
Researcher Lorna Mclean 11.11.2020-:-I too have spent exessive hours on this conundrum. My head tells me she is privately adopted. The only two solid evidence is the record of her on 1933 electoral roll with her husband, and her memorial headstone. Its all she wanted or knew herself. Her family of one husband and four children. Made one or two alterations and left notes but little has changed. An enigma. Lorna Mclean 11.11.2020
- In my Nov 2020 search for evidence of this couple. Named but not able to be evidenced. I find an electoral roll of 1963 North Narrabeen NSW with both Ambrose Lyall McCauley, a sawyer and with a Sheila Frances McCauley in same address; occupation home duties. Note Lyall spelled with 2 L's. I have altered records accordingly. Tried, SAGHS Ancestry, BDFM NSW BDM QLD BDM SA BDM VIC and also double checked NAA. Her 6 children are also lacking evidence even though some likely deceased now. It will come through one day...Lorna McLean Researcher.
||4 Apr 1912
||Thirroul NSW [1, 3, 4]
||21 Oct 1988
||Thirroul NSW [1, 5, 6, 7]
||Wollongong NSW 
||Christina and Donald McLean | Ewen (Hugh the elder) McLean's descendants
||14 Nov 2020 |
||Albert Edward BRABANT, b. 7 Dec 1887, Paddington NSW , d. 6 Dec 1972, Narrabeen NSW (Age 84 years) |
||Mary Margaret MCLEAN, b. 28 Oct 1885, Monavale NSW , d. 22 Sep 1962, Chatswood NSW (Age 76 years) |
||25 May 1911
||Narrabeen NSW [9, 10, 11, 12]
- The BRB has Albert and Mary getting married in 1911 whereas Louise Johnson has found a BMD record of their marriage in 1916 in Sydney. Since the BRB relied on word of mouth, altered NSW BDM record.
- EMAIL FROM STEPHENANDLOUISE DATED 26TH JAN 2018 TO LADYJ:How did someone find a marriage between Albert and Mary in 1911 when the BDM has their marriage in 1916? This is extract from BRB Page 220 only states the dates with limited evidence of FM=family memories. ?Mary Margaret Mclean born 20/10/1885 at the "Rock Lily Tavern". Mona Vale which was then the staging post for the northern coast. Donald built a small wooden house at Narrabeen where there is now  a median strip of a 6 lane highway. It eventually became the back scullery and laundry for the 2 storey brick house already mentioned as being both home and post office until the new one was erected, Information from Betty O'Gorman, dau of Kindor McLean//
Married: Albert Brabant c1911 and was if Narrabeen NSW
Death: Mary died in her 77th year on 22/9/1962?
How was Sheila McLean linked with Albert and Mary? There is no record of her birth in the
NSW BDM, which is highly likely if she was illegitimate, but the birthplace of Thirroul is
RHETORICAL of course.
- EMAIL dated 05.10.2018 from Stephenandlouise@bigpond.com actually Louise Johnson.
"It has been some timesince i spoke to you about Mary Margaret McLean and Albert Edward Brabant. I have been sharing my research time between 5 family trees and it has taken a while but have new information. Details DOM 25.05.1916. place The Central Methodist Mission, groom Albert Edward Brabant, Occupation motor driver, usual residence, Narrabeen , a bachelor aged 29. The bride, Mary Margaret McLean, home duties, usual residence Narrabeen,spinster, aged 29. Death Certificate, NSW BDM Registration No32269/1962 copy certificate no 132249 from probate packet. NAME Mary Margaret Brabant, DOD 22.9.1962 usual residence Narrabeen,
1st marriage, at Sydney 24yoa to ? McGuinness, issue ONE, Sheila aged 51yoa.
2nd marriage, Sydney aged 27to Albert Edward Brabant, issue, Jessie M 46yoa, Amy 44yoa, Archibald E 42yoa, Florence N 40yoa, Mary J 38yoa none deceased.
No birth nor marriage certificate was found for Sheila-her marriage certificate names her Sheila McLean.
- family search indicates married about 1911 which concurs with a source 1911
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
Sheila Spry nee MCLEAN 1932
HS Wollongong Cemetery MCLEAN Sheila
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-106] BDM NSW, https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?3.
marriage search results:RefNo:12612/1933 groom MCCAULEY AMBROSE Lyal bride:MCLEAN SHEILA F at MORUYA NSW no date offered
Woolongong Cemetery Board confirmed Sheila McLeans middle name as Florence. [lorna mclean,researcher]
- [S-106] BDM NSW, https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?5, 24 Jan 2018 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Births Search Results MCLEAN FLORENCE M 36942/1911 father:ROBERT mother:MARGARET at District:ANNANDALE NSW
- [S-136] FM Louise Johnson Emails Jan 2018 evidence pending, states death of sheila florence mclean died 21 Oct 1988 at Thirroul NSW.
- [S-10] Headstone detail transcription, Wollongong NSW Cemetery, 27 Nov 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Headstone reads DOB AND DOD and loss to John, Gregory, Jill(covered by shadow), Peter, Patricia.
These were all Brabant children. Yet there is no conclusive evidence of Sheila being a birth child nor adopted child of the Brabant family.
- [S-7] CEMETERY AustralianCemeteries Index, http://austcemindex.com/?given_names=SHEILA&family_name=MCCAULEY, 25 Feb 2018 Researcher Lorna McLean.
McCauley Sheila Florence b.1912? death:21 Oct 1988 76yoa Wollongong Lawn NSW Location in Cemetery Lwn 1 Plot, 57
- [S-99] http://ryersonindex.org/search.php, http://ryersonindex.org/search.php, 9 Jan 2021 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
These deaths are reported and Sheila (Mac) matches our current death date but location read West Dapto....now changed to Thirroul NSW (likely closeby) Researcher Lorna Mclean
- [S-10] Headstone detail transcription, 22 Jan 2018 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
email sent to Woolongong NSW awaiting a grave image being taken by staff at Wollongong Cemetery.
- [S-106] BDM NSW, http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx, 6 Jan 2018 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Married 1916 incomplete dates only provided on NSW BDM-must purchase certificate to complete the date. REFERENCE No5095/1916
- [S-136] FM Louise Johnson Emails Jan 2018 evidence pending, Email on 27th Jan 2018, 27 Dec 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Confirmed by email from Louise Johnson dated 27.1.2018 to lj2333 aligning to current findings of marriage in 1916
NOTE:Sheila Florence Brabant born in 1912 is confirmed with these parents.
- [S-3] BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , page 220, 26 Jan 2018 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Page220 only states the dates with limited evidence of FM=family memories.
"Mary Margaret Mclean born 20/10/1885 at the "Rock Lily Tavern". Mona Vale which was then the staging post for the northern coast. Donald built a small wooden house at Narrabeen where there is now  a median strip of a 6 lane highway. It eventually became the back scullery and laundry for the 2 storey brick house already mentioned as being both home and post office until the new one was erected, Information from Betty O'Gorman, dau of Kindor McLean// Married: Albert Brabant c1911 and was if Narrabeen NSW
Death:Mary died in her 77th year on 22/9/1962"
- [S-121] Family Search.org -------C & D McLean, https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:9XBP-8Q3, 28 Feb 2019 Researcher Lorna McLean.
MARRIAGE:Albert Brabant B. 1881
at, Narrabeen, New South Wales, Australia
MARRIAGES (1) Mary Margaret McLean
Marriage 1911 at , Narrabeen, New South Wales, Australia CITATON The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "International Genealogical Index (IGI)," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:9XBP-8Q3 : accessed 19 February 2019), entry for Mary Margaret McLean; submitted by Colinralphwhitehead7 [identity withheld for privacy]; no source information is available.
- [S-136] FM Louise Johnson Emails Jan 2018 evidence pending, email dated 15.1.2018 to don gordon, 16 Jan 2018 Researcher Lorna McLean.
Louise Johnson Contact: email@example.com
15th Jan 2018
From : Stephen and Louise
Don, I have done some more research since my first email to you and I found that Sheila?s
surname was MacLean, not Brabant, which is why I couldn?t find her initially.
Unfortunately I could not find her in the birth index, and will have to wait until
October till she appears in the death index, where her parents will be stated, and a
copy of the death certificate will be available for purchase if required.
If she is the daughter of Albert and Mary, it is possible that she was named MacLean
and brought up as one of Donald and Mary MacLean?s children, and her birth was not
registered.The parents listed on the death certificate may not be correct if she was
raised as the daughter of her grandparents and never knew the truth.This happened in one of my other family trees.She married Ambrose Lyal McCauley at Moruya, NSW in 1933.Ambrose died in 1968 and Sheila died on 21st October, 1988, late of Thirroul NSW.She is buried at Wollongong Lawn Cemetery. I am descended from James Herbert Brabant, brother of Albert Edward, and son of Mark Brabant.James Herbert Brabant?s eldest son was Eric James, who married Alice Louisa Bryant.They had 3children, and their daughter, Nancye Eleanor is my
mother. At this stage we can?t confirm who Sheila?s parents were and will have to wait for
the BMD Death Index entry in October. I hope the following will be helpful in filling in any gaps for you: Mary Julie Brabant married Maurice Raymond Walker at Manly in 1948.Maurice died 3.8.1969, late of Rydalmere. Mary died 12.10.2003, late of Rydalmere. Archibald Edward Donald Mark Brabant married a woman named Oriole, between 1954 and 1958 in Queensland. Unfortunately Qld. BDM Marriage Index only goes up to 1943 so don?t know details. Oriole died 2.12.1977 at Fairfield, Qld. Archibald died 20.2.2000 at Canberra.In the electoral rolls there is a Lynn Douglas Brabant, presumably a
daughter, and from 1977 a Norma Ann, presumably a younger daughter.When I was researching Douglas Mark Brabant I discovered that he was divorced, and when I went to the NSW State Records I obtained a copy of the divorce documents.A copy of their marriage certificate was included and I was amazed to discover that they were cousins. Douglas? parents were William Dougald Brabant (brother of Albert) and Bessie Tremayne Beard.The divorce documents tell the story of why they were divorced and
also state that there was ?no issue? of the marriage. After Jessie and Douglas were divorced, it appears that Jessie married Albert James Smith almost straight away. I have not found the entry in the BMD Marriage Index, but they are in the NSW census records from 1958 until 1980.Douglas moved in with his brothers and died on 5.11.1966.Jessie died on 4.9.2003, late of Campsie.Albert James died on 9.5.2005, late of Campsie. If you are interested in any further information about the Brabants, I am happy to help.I live in Richmond, an outer western suburb of Sydney. Regards,Louise Johnson. 14th Jan 2018