...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
||David SMITH |
- He was 45 years old in the 1841 census and 54 years in the 1851 census. This indicates that he was born about 1796 or 1797.
||David was born about 1796 in Forfar, Kirriemuir which is on the eastern side of Scotland whereas his working and married life was on the western side.|
He was the overseer of Achamore on Gigha but he married Ann in Glasgow. He was about 31 years old and she was about 26 years old.
Fourteen years later, he was a farmer 38 kms away at Tarbert at the time of the 1841 census.
Ann died the next year and was buried at Glennevis.
A decade later, in the 1851 census, David was still a farmer at Tarbert where his farm was 112 acres, with 110 arable pastures. There were 7 farm workers.
He designated himself as a factor of Gigha when he arranged the plaque for his wife's grave.
||In the 1851 census, David's large household included 10 other people. A couple might have been related to Ann. And there were two who might have related to David:-|
* Barbara Smith: born about 1833 in Colonsay which is an island which was about 88 kms journey from Gigha. She was described as David's grand-niece. This means she might have been the grand-daughter of a brother of David. However, we have no details of David's kin.
* Neil Smith: born about 1824 in Gigha. He was a farm servant in 1851. We have no indications of how he might have been related to David.
||There was a Donald McNaughton who was in David's household in the censuses of 1841 and 1851. He was born in Campbelltown in about 1806 or 1807. He was a lodger with independant means. Nothing more is known about this man, nor what relationship he might have had with David. |
||David was a factor of Gigha Argyllshire. Gigha is a small island - about 180 kms from Glennevis.|
He placed a memorial to his wife, and her parents in Tom eas an t-slinnein burial ground in Glennevis.
||Christina and Donald McLean
||20 May 2021 |
||Ann MACMILLAN, b. 1785 or 1801, d. 31 Dec 1842 (Age 41 years) |
||13 Dec 1827
- Wedding details attached to this profile.
|Children of marriage
||There are no indications that David and Ann had any children. |
||20 May 2021 12:21:49 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Ann MacMillan & David Smith - married 13th Dec 1827 in Glasgow|
1827, Dec 13 - "David Smith Overseer at Achamore was married to Ann MacMillan at Glasgow"
It appears that the wedding was in Glasgow but the marriage was registered in the Parish of Gigha and Cara. David was overseer of the Achamore estate which is on the small island of Gigha, with the even smaller island of Cara close by. These islands are near the Campbelltown peninsular. There must have been compelling reasons for their wedding to take place so far from home because it would have been quite a journey in 1827 from the islands to Glasgow - 140 kms east, with at least three ferry crossings along the way.
||David Smith's household in Tarbert (Gigha) in 1841 census|
* David Smith, aged 45 (c1796), farmer, born out of the county
* Ann McMillan, aged 40 yrs (c1801), born out of the county
* Angus McMillan, aged 20 (c1821), agricultural labourer, not born in the county
* Donald McNaughton, aged 35?? (c1806??), independant means, born in county
* Jean McMillan, aged 20 (c1821), female servant, notation not clear whether or not she was born in the county
* Janet Pekin??, aged 20 (c1821), female servant, notation not clear whether or not she was born in the county
||David Smith's household in Tarbert (Gigha) in 1851 census - David Smith (but not Ann) & 10 others|
* David Smith, head, widower, aged 54 (c1797), farmer of 112 acres, 110 acres arable pasture, born Forfa Kirriemuir
* Barbara Smith, grand niece, unmarried, aged 18 (c1833), housekeeper, born Argyll Colonesy
* Christine McMillan, grand niece, unmarried, aged 10 (c1841), scholar, born Argyll Colonsay
* Donald McNaughton, lodger, unmarried, age 44 (c1807), born Argyll Campbelltown
* Donald Galbraith, servant, married, aged 53 (c1798), farm servant, born Argyll Gigha
* Catherine Vineth??, servant, unmarried, aged 45 (c1806), house servant, born Gigha
* Agnes McCoag??, servant, unmarried, aged 26 (c1825), dairy maid, born Campbelltown
* Archibald Galbraith, servant, unmarried, aged 35 (c1816), farm servant, born Gigha
* Neil Smith, servant, unmarried, aged 27 (c1824), farm servant, born Gigha
* Malcolm McLean, servant, unmarried, aged 17, farm servant, born Gigha
* Archibald McMillan, servant, unmarried, aged 14?? (c1837??), herd, born Gigha