...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1883 - 1956 (73 years)
||Katherine (Kate) Forster BRADLEY  |
||28 May 1883
||Mundoora SA [1, 2]
||By 1920 they had a small orchard property in Kelmscott WA, and Douglas retained his position with the Commonwealth Military Forces until he died in 1927. |
The orchard property was on the eastern side of Albany Highway - all the way back to a gravel pit.
After Douglas died, Kate built a house on Ecko Road (previously Scott Road), just back from Albany Highway, on the left as you turn into Ecko Road. The house is still there.
Kate sold the property in 1950 when she moved to live with her grand-daughter in Kalgoorlie. The new owners gradually sold off the vacant bits, including what later became the site of the Armadale Hospital.
Kate died in Geraldton in 1956.
||Naracoorte SA 
|Kate trained as a teacher and taught at Naracoorte School from 1907 until her marriage in 1912. |
|Douglas died young at the age of 45 after a heart attack in 1927.|
|Naracoorte-SA, Bunbury-WA, Claremont-WA, Kelmscott-WA |
||6 Nov 1956
||Geraldton WA 
||Christina and Donald McLean | Allan McLean's descendants
||23 Apr 2020 |
||Alfred BRADLEY, b. 16 Mar 1853, Port Elliot SA , d. 20 Sep 1930, Kybybolite SA (Age 77 years) |
||Katherine Graham 'Kitty' MCLEAN, b. 9 Apr 1860, Meadowbank SA , d. 15 May 1915, Kybybolite SA (Age 55 years) |
||24 Sep 1879
||Collinsfield SA 
- Married in Allan's home in Collinsfield - a week after Mary's wedding.
||They met when Alfred was working in Collinsfield. About 1888 they moved to Adelaide for 18 years - engaging in business pursuits. About 1906 they took up a country life again - in Kybybolite on Coo-ee farm (later called Battunga Park). They also opened a general store and post office. |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] PUBLICATION BRB 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995 copies available, Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-75] BDM SA, https://www.genealogysa.org.au requires log in , 9 Apr 2020 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
Surname: BRADLEY Given Names: Katherine Forster Date of Birth: 28-May-1883 Father: Alfred BRADLEY Mother: Katherine Graham MCLEAN Birth Residence: Mundoora District: Adelaide Book/Page: 304/174
- [S-211] FM Alison Woodman - ID 1612 - in progress, Email from Jennifer Blackburn ID 1614 on 13th Feb 2020.
- [S-113] NEWSPAPER TROVE Adelaide Advertiser SA, 4th Oct 1879 P2, 19 Aug 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
"BRADLEY-MCLEAN on the 24 Sept (1879) by the Rev J N Miles of Koolunga, Alfred Bradley of Mundoora,to Catherine Graham fifth daughter of Allen McLean, Lake Farm Collinsfield."
- [S-75] BDM SA, https://www.genealogysa.org.au/index.php?option=com_search&Itemid=32, 16 Jan 2017.
Found Researcher: Lorna McLean at WAGS Bayswater on above website and hyperlink to actual entry. As I was not logged on it offered limited information. It stated "only Reg No 251/891 year 1912 in Wellington SA" More followup to ensure complete date and location"
- [S-113] NEWSPAPER TROVE Adelaide Advertiser SA, 17 Jul 1912 P8, 19 Aug 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
"SCOTT-BRADLEY on the 14th June (1912) at Kybybolite, by the Rev R W McLean, MA., Douglas Gordon, only son of the late Andrew Scott BA., Adelaide to Catherine Forster elder daughter to Alfred Bradley, Kybybolite SA"