...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1888 - 1956 (67 years)
||Eliza Jane SEMPLE  |
- She was nicknamed, according to the Smith Family Bible.
||28 Oct 1888
||Dimboola Vic 
||Eliza Jane Semple, b. 28/10/1888 at Dimboola. |
Her mother died only two weeks after Eliza was born. So she lived with her grandmother Gray. She was very lonely and often wrote letters to herself and posted them so she would receive letters in the mail.
Her grandmother Gray accidentally set the house on fire while looking for papers with a candle. The family Bible was on an oak table. The table was burned but the bible fell to the stone floor and although singed was not burned.
Married: at Jeparit John Duncan Ernest Smith, (b. 21/1/1882. North Adelaide). Witnesses were Lucy Smith and Taney Wilkins.
Residence: Hawthorn, Vic.
History: John met Eliza when she was 15 and married her when she was 16. They had their first baby when she was 16.
His occupation: John was a builder, building schools for the government, and houses. He was also a wheelwright and a fully trained butcher and slaughterman.
John died on 24/6/1937 aged 55 at Hawthorn, Vic.
Eliza died aged 67 on 29/6/1956 at Melbourne.
Both were interred at Burwood Cemetery, Vic.
CHILDREN ...... 
|Cause of death
||The cause of death was myocardial insufficiency for some months and arteriosclerosis for many years.  |
||Hawthorn Vic 
|20 Bowen St, Hawthorn at the time of death |
||29 Jun 1956
||Melbourne Vic 
||2 Jul 1956
||Burwood Vic [1, 2]
||Christina and Donald McLean | John McLean's descendants
||24 Jun 2017 |
||John Duncan Ernest SMITH, b. 21 Jan 1882, Adelaide SA , d. 24 Jun 1937, Hawthorn SA (Age 55 years) |
||Jeparit Vic 
- Liza's death certificate states that she was 16 years old when she married John in Jeparit.
- According to his death certificate, John was 23 years old when he married Eliza in Jeparit.
| ||1. Margaret Brittania Rosedew SMITH, b. 21 Sep 1905, Jeparit Vic , d. 29 Jan 1961, Burwood Vic (Age 55 years) |
| ||2. Alice Melvina Pearl SMITH, b. 9 Jan 1908, Jeparit Vic , d. 00 Jul 2003, Melbourne Vic (Age 95 years) |
| ||3. Robert William John (Jack) SMITH, b. 11 Mar 1911, Jeparit Vic , d. 13 Apr 1993 (Age 82 years) |
| ||4. Duncan Edmond Kent (Dunk) SMITH, b. 21 May 1912, Jeparit Vic , d. 11 May 1979 (Age 66 years)|
| ||5. Nellie Doreen (Nell) SMITH, b. 24 Oct 1916, Jeparit Vic , d. 29 Jul 2002, Melbourne Vic (Age 85 years) |
||20 Jun 2017 12:01:46 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-11] BDM certificate - sighted and attached .