...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1830 - 1907 (77 years)
||Christina BLACK  |
||Iona Scotland [1, 2, 3]
- The BRB speculated that Christy might have been born in England, Ireland or Scotland.
Her obituary stated that she was born in Argyllshire and that she was aged 18 yrs when she was married in 1849, or aged 74 when she died in 1907. This indicates that she was born around 1831 or 1833.
However, it is probable that she was born in Iona (which is in Argyllshire) in 1830 according to the Mull Families website. This is consistent with the years and places of birth of her siblings.
||1848 [4, 5]
|Christina migrated in 1848 from the London to Port Adelaide on the 'Duke of Bedford' with her uncle (Archibald Mclucais) and aunt and their daughters Susan and Mary Ann. |
The 'Duke of Bedford', under Captain Robert Thornhill, left on 29th August 1848 from London via Plymouth. They arrived at Port Adelaide on 5th December 1848.
According to Tom Hughes (email on 25th March 2018) "her newspaper obituary in 1907 mentions that she came with her uncle 'Mr J McDugall of Saddleworth'.... but the obituary listed the wrong uncle. James McDougal (1810-1856), who was mentioned in Christina's obituary, was a younger brother of Archibald). He lived in the area around Saddleworth in South Australia ...... He arrived in South Australia in 1839 on the 'Sir Charles Forbes'".
||* According to the 1841 census, Christina (11 yrs) was living in Kentra with her uncle Archibald, aunt, and 3 cousins.|
* Archibald was a brother of Christina's mother.
* Archibald was a boatman.
* These details are from Christina's profile on the Mull Families website:-
- Census, 1841.
- Iona - Argyllshire
- Address: Kentra
- MACLUCAS Archibald M 35 Boatman Argyllshire
- MACLUCAS Margaret F 40 Argyllshire
- MACLUCAS Susan F 15 Argyllshire
- MACLUCAS Marrion F 9 Argyllshire
- MACLUCAS Niel M 1 Argyllshire
- BLACK Christy F 11 Argyllshire
||For further details, look at the biography in the profiles of her parents. |
||OBITUARY: Another old colonialist passed away on 13th inst in the person of Mrs Christina McLean (nee Black), of Meningie. The deceased was born in Argylshire, Scotland, 74 years ago. She arrived in this colony in the ship Duke of Bedford in 1843. At the age of 18 she married the late Hugh McLean, son of the late Donald McLean of Strathalbyn, and has been a widow for 31 years. Mr & Mrs McLean started farming in the Milang Plains and later at Point Macleay, and after the death of her husband Mrs McLean resided in Meningie until her death. She left a family of four daughters and two sons - Messrs Hugh McLean (Meningie) and Donald McLean (Sydney), Mrs James Hughes (Meningie), Mrs John Smith (Ashville), Mrs J Stabernack (Lobethal) and Mrs T Lovegrove (Meningie); also 47 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren. The deceased lady was hale and hearty until a few years ago, when the lingering illness started which caused her death. |
(ref: The Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser, 22nd Feb 1907, page 2)
||15 May 1849
|Advisedly: Christy made her mark rather than wrote her signature on her wedding record at Church of Scotland. No known evidence to date. |
||13 Feb 1907
||Albert Hill SA [1, 2]
||13 Feb 1907
||Meningie SA 
||Christina and Donald McLean | Ewen (Hugh the elder) McLean's descendants
||25 Mar 2018 |
||Lachlan BLACK, c. 21 May 1797, Lagganulva, Kilninian and Kilmore, Mull, Scotland |
||Isabella MCLUCAIS (MCDOUGALL), b. 1800, Argyll Scotland |
||19 Jan 1826
||Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon, Scotland 
|Children of marriage
||* Lachlan and Isabella had 6 children. |
* The first two, John born in 1827 and Isabella jnr 1829, were born in Kilfinichen & Kilvickeon. The third, Christina was born 1830 in Iona. The fourth, Catherine was born 1831 in Blarnacor. The last two, Lachlan jnr 1833 and Margaret 1836, were both born in Iona.
* This indicates that the family moved around several locations within the western parts of Mull.
* A major difficulty for the family arose between 1836 and 1841. Karen Kennett stated that the children "were divided up amongst relatives". This was evident in the 1841 census as following:-
* Isabella has not been found in the census. Perhaps she had died - we do not know, but if so, this could have precipitated the dispersal of the children.
* The two youngest children, Lachlan jnr 7 yrs and Margaret 5 yrs were living in Innair with their father, Lachlan.
* John 14 yrs was in Ardtun with his mother's parents, Lachlan and Susan.
* Catherine 10 yrs was living in Kentra with her grand-aunt Flora McLucais who was the sister of Catherine's grandfather, Lachlan.
* Christina 11 yrs was living in Kentra in the household of her uncle Archibald who was her mother's brother.
* Isabella jnr 12 yrs has not been found on the census. Maybe she had died.
||At the time of their marriage, Isabella was 26 years old and Lachlan was about 28 years and he had left the 79th Foot Regiment six months previously. |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Ewen (Hugh the elder) MCLEAN, b. 20 Feb 1814, Kilmallie Scotland , d. 28 May 1876, Meningie SA (Age 62 years) |
||15 May 1849
||Adelaide SA [6, 7]
- MARRIED AT Church of Scotland, Hindley St, Adelaide SA
|Children of marriage
||Christina and Hugh had 10 children from 1850 to 1869. |
||Christina and married Hugh McLean just six months after she arrived in the colony.|
She was 18 yrs and he was 35 yrs.
| ||1. Hughie MCLEAN, b. 21 Mar 1850, Tailem Bend SA , d. 28 May 1913, Parrakie SA (Age 63 years) |
| ||2. John (Archibald) MCLEAN, b. 13 Sep 1853, Lake Plains SA , d. 18 May 1888, Wilpena SA (Age 34 years)|
| ||3. Esther Sibley MCLEAN, b. 4 Aug 1855, Lake Alexandrina SA , d. 15 May 1857, Milang SA (Age 1 years) |
| ||4. Donald (the Rover) MCLEAN, b. 8 Mar 1857, Lake Alexandrina SA , d. 31 May 1932, Narrabeen NSW (Age 75 years) |
| ||5. Christina MCLEAN, b. 17 Apr 1859, Lake Alexandrina SA , d. 27 May 1944 (Age 85 years) |
| ||6. Isabell (Bell) MCLEAN, b. 15 Aug 1862, Lake Alexandrina SA , d. 14 Aug 1947 (Age 84 years) |
| ||7. Alice Maude Mary MCLEAN, b. 14 Jun 1864, Lake Alexandrina SA , d. 1 Apr 1940 (Age 75 years)|
| ||8. Jane Ann (Jeanie) MCLEAN, b. 24 Sep 1865, Lake Alexandrina SA , d. 29 Jan 1961 (Age 95 years)|
| ||9. Alan MCLEAN, b. 24 Oct 1867, Meningie SA , d. 29 Dec 1869, Strathalbyn SA (Age 2 years) |
| ||10. Jeff Jeffreys MCLEAN, b. 9 Aug 1869, Meningie SA , d. 10 Oct 1882, Adelaide SA (Age 13 years) |
||7 Feb 2018 08:28:26 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S-3] BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-107] NEWSPAPER TROVE Mount Barker Courier and Onkaparinga and Gumeracha Advertiser SA, Page 2 of 22nd Feb 1907.
- [S-32] Mull Families Website, https://www.mullfamilies.co.uk - It is easy to register for a new user account on that website.
- [S-53] Dianne Cummings - early SA shipping - per SLSA.
- [S-151] Barry Leadbeater - www.familyhistorysa.org//shipping/passengerlists.html.
- [S-11] BDM certificate - sighted and attached .
- [S-59] http://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html, Barry Leadbetter, 4.
MCLEAN Hugh, Christina BLACK married 1849-05-15 at Adelaide, aged 32=Hugh b 1817, and Christina at 18=b1831
confirmed by the said website of Barry Leadbetter found by researcher Lorna McLean 05/12/2016
I have NOT altered Hughs birthdate from 1814 to 1817 BECAUSE of the citation on his birth stating his baptism year/date 1814 in some detail; - confirmed by the said website of Barry Leadbetter found by researcher Lorna McLean 05/12/2016