...do YOUR families link back to first South Australian wheat growers?
Christina and Donald McLEAN from Scotland 1837
1787 - 1869 (81 years)
||Christina MCPHEE  |
- Her name is spelled 'Christeance' in codicil to Donald's will (codicil F on 10th Oct 1855).
||28 Apr 1787
||Crieff Scotland [1, 2, 3]
- The BRB has her birth as 1791 in Kilmallie whereas Edwin McLean's genealogy has her born on 28th April 1787 in Argyll. New evidence: Researcher Lorna McLean cites the OPR for her baptism at Crieff in Argyll on 28th April 1787: evidence in media. FHL Film Number 1041070
||9 Apr 1869
||Strathalbyn SA [4, 5]
- "McLEAN, Christina nee McPhee, (b 1791) - Died on the 9th April 1869, at Strathalbyn, Mrs Christina McLean widow of the late Donald McLean, aged 78 years - a colonist for 32 years. Buried in Strathalbyn Cemetery." (South Australian Advertiser, 16th April 1869, p2 & South Australian Register on 24th April 1869)
- Some sources (which ones?) have the death as 4th Sept 1869.
||Strathalbyn SA 
||Christina and Donald McLean
||4 Oct 2018 |
||Donald MCLEAN, b. 26 Sep 1779, Blaich Scotland , d. 11 Oct 1855, Strathalbyn SA (Age 76 years) |
|Children of marriage
||We are confident that there were 11 children - 2 X Hugh, 2 X Mary, Allan, John, Archibald, Ann, Rachel, Margaret & Jane. |
However, some researchers have proposed 4 others:-
* RICHARD: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Which ones?], but this might not be based on the authentic record. There are no other indications of this Richard in colonial records (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* ELIZABETH: This name appears on some 'Navarino' passenger lists [research: Leadbeater & Cummings) but this might not be based on the authentic record. It is stated that she was born in 1835 or 1836, and died in 1907. There are no other indications of this Elizabeth in colonial records. (eg marriage, children, death, or Trove etc).
* HUGH: BRB p8 "The persistent inclusion of a Donald and a Hugh McLean who arrived in 1840 by ship 'Tomatin' must be an error as the listed children the same 10, who with their emigrating parents and in the father's Will. These two may have been nephews. If they were of an earlier marriage of Donald, he had three sons named Hugh which is carrying things a bit far as to names! There is a family story that 'two sons were sent to Venezuela to look for farming possibilities' referring of course to the Donald and Hugh on the 'Tomatin' of 1840. Then not discovering anything suitable followed on to SA. Nothing further is known of them although two of the same name were at Naracoorte in the South East quite early, and the names of the families were the same as those of the Donald McLeans. They were not mentioned in Donald McLean's Will."
* DONALD: See the quote for Hugh, above (BRB p8).
This note was by Don Gordon on 30th July 2018.
| ||1. Allan MCLEAN, b. 12 Feb 1811, Blaich Scotland , d. 2 Sep 1890, Plympton SA (Age 79 years) |
| ||2. Mary b.1813 MCLEAN, b. 22 Jan 1813, Kilmallie Scotland |
| ||3. Ewen b.1814 MCLEAN, b. 20 Feb 1814, Kilmallie Scotland , d. 28 May 1876, Meningie SA (Age 62 years) |
| ||4. John MCLEAN, b. 6 Feb 1816, Argyll Scotland , d. 14 Dec 1903, Angas Plains SA (Age 87 years) |
| ||5. Mary b. 1818 MCLEAN, b. 2 Apr 1818, d. 22 Sep 1889, Strathalbyn SA (Age 71 years) |
| ||6. Anne b.1820 MCLEAN, b. 18 Feb 1820 |
| ||7. Archibald b.1821 MCLEAN, b. 4 Mar 1821, Kilmallie Scotland , d. 31 Jan 1899, Naracoorte SA (Age 77 years) |
|+||8. Ann b. 1823 MCLEAN, b. 6 Apr 1823, Kilmallie Scotland , d. 21 Oct 1910, Strathalbyn SA (Age 87 years) |
|+||9. Rachel MCLEAN, b. 13 Feb 1825, Kilmallie Scotland , d. 20 Aug 1908 (Age 83 years) |
| ||10. Margaret MCLEAN, b. 1827, Argyll Scotland , d. 30 Jul 1912, Geelong Vic (Age 85 years) |
| ||11. Jane MCLEAN, b. 16 Aug 1830, Kilmallie Scotland , d. 10 Oct 1886, Strathalbyn SA (Age 56 years) |
| ||12. Ewen (Hugh the younger) MCLEAN, b. 26 May 1836, Kilmallie Scotland , d. 5 Jun 1921, Strathalbyn SA (Age 85 years) |
||14 Nov 2017 14:02:13 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||HS MCLEAN family crypt at Strathalbyn Cemetery, section 1 - from BRB 034.jpg|
READS:"Sacred to the memory of Donald McLean who died October the 10th 1856 aged 84 years also Christina, his wife who died April 9th 1869 aged 78 years Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord."
||GRAVE Donald McLean d.1855. Council reinterred pioneers to Parker Avenue Cemetery in 1859|
Donald d.1855 originally buried in "Strathalbyn Old Pioneer Cemetery" "adjacent to the church" [assume St Andrews Presbyterian). The Council relocated the Pioneer Cemetery in 1854 to Parker Avenue Strathalbyn Cemetery.
GRAVE MCLEAN Donald and Chrisitna nee McPhee section 1.jpg d1859 "Strathalbyn Old Pioneer Cemetery" was relocated by council to Parker Avenue Cemetery. Few records remained of those interred in Old Pioneer Cemetery. Donald deceased 1855 was reinterred to Parker Avenue Strathalbyn Cemetery with wife Christina deceased 1869.
Plot: Section 1
- [S-3] BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. .
- [S-18] PUBLICATION Edwin Maclean's genealogy, Spouse of person 14.
- [S-87] http//:www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/, https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/view-image/nrs_opr_records/5458996?image=74 (Reliability: 1), 10 Feb 2017 Researcher Lorna Mclean.
BIRTHS: born-April 28 1787. The below evidence now aligns to Edwin MacLean guesstimate above-evidence pending.
First evidence: Accurate content of Kilmallie Baptism Register in OPR as an image. Also reflects Christina as dau. to John McPhee and Christian Cameron in Crieff (on Shores of Lake Arkiag) in Parish of Kilmallie, baptised 28.4.1787 FHL1041070 Researcher Lorna McLean Ref 520/1074 Kilmallie Page 74 of 243
- [S-3] BRB - 'Donald & Christina McLean & Their Descendants', 1995, The BRB has a good index for each individual. Copies of the BRB available Strathalbyn National Trust Museum & Library, several libraries around Australia including State Library SA, and Western Australian Genealogical Society Bayswater WA Request assistance for locating a copy through 'Contact us' on this website. , Page 20.
- [S-73] PUBLICATION "Register Personal Notices Vol-3 1866-1870", Compiled Reg Butler, Alan Phillips, 270, 11 Jan 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
"MCLEAN on the 9th April (1869) at Strathalbyn SA, Mrs Christina Mclean, widow of the late Donald McLean, aged 78years-a colonist of 32 years." As this is transcribed from newspaper and made into a published book, we have reverted to burial detail on headstone and cemetery records.
- [S-87] http//:www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/, 26 Oct 2017 Researcher Lorna McLean.
"Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTKX-X2D : 8 December 2014), John Page Mcphee and Christian Cameron, Mar 1786; citing Kilmallie,Argyll,Scotland, index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 1041070.
- [S-87] http//:www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/, OPR Register 1786, 13 Sep 2018 Researcher Lorna McLean.
28 Feb 1786 John Oag McPhee married Christain Cameron at Archnacarry.